Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

When Can I Direct Seed if I Use a Cover?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

Hello all =:) Where is everyone lately? Still hybernating?

Since I've so far had no luck with seedlings indoors, I'm wondering when I could push the limits and sow my seeds outdoors.

I'd be planting them in full sun location, in a raised brick bed so it could be "reasonably" warm.

If I use a domed plastic cover like I did inside for germination, when could I almost safely try? I could cover the seedlings every night.

I was thinking of starting some marigolds.

BTW For this, I'd be willing to have a 50/50 chance.

Any comments or experience?

Comments (7)

• DrHorticulture_
    14 years ago

I've already sown radishes, bok choy and garden cress (the cress as early as March 11th in a sheltered raised bed covered by plastic). The radishes and bok choy germinated in about a week and are doing well so far. I would be more reluctant with frost-sensitive plants like marigolds. Plastic covers protect to about -2 or -3 C and then they get below freezing inside. You can get further frost protection by covering the plastic with burlap (if you have a rigid structure). Since you are willing to put on and take off the covers every evening/morning, I'd say go for it! You have nothing to lose but a packet of seeds. Last spring, I was able to get tomatoes through temperatures of -8 C with a plastic-burlap-plastic combo, but of course they were not happy.

I also started peas, bok choy, spinach, carrots and bunching onions indoors under lights. I planted them outside in late March under covers. Some were killed off by the repeated freezes and I had to replace them. The onions are doing the best so far.

• DrHorticulture_
    14 years ago

I just wanted to add that a very simple option for you would be to cover them with a thick-walled Rubbermaid tub every night. It's easy to add additional coverings onto the tub without having to bother with stakes or hoops. The tub alone provides 3-4 degrees C of frost protection. Of course, you might run into problems if we get an extended stretch of cold, cloudy weather.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Make yourself a hoop house over your raised bed and then you can start things a month ahead of your last freeze date. What you need is some PVC water pipe and plastic--relatively inexpensive to build. There is lots of info on doing that on forums here.

Before I got my greenhouse I grew everything in the ground with makeshift cold frames consisting of wire hoops and plastic coverings. 2 things you have to know if you are going this route is. Even if it's mainly cloudy it has to be opened a little, so almost every day you will have to open it either a little or a lot, and then close it up at night. You'd be surprised at the heat that builds up in there. 2--When you transplant make sure you give them enough water and then cover them with an upside down pot for a couple of days. Covering does 2 things--it keeps the water around the plants roots and allows the plant to recover from being transplanted--and no the lack of sunshine for 2 days will have no effect on the plant

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WooHoo !!

I have plastic covers, I have burlap, I have rubbermaid bins galore, I have thick plastic, and I might even have some PVC or something relatively close. =:)

I think I'll plant a ton of stuff this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks !!

Oh, and I just saw the forecast. =:)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

My marigolds used to self-sow in my beds every year. I never covered them with anything. I also didn't try to force them to sprout early, mind you. I wouldn't know what strain I had but I wish I had brought some along from the old house.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I put in potatoes, and a bed of peas and today I'm thinking of spinach and beets. C

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I'm trying to convince my husband to get the garden tilled again so that i can plant. I told him that i'd do lettuce, onions and radishes, but i think i could get away with beets, carrots and swiss chard.... :>

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert