Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Growing gourds in the North

runswithscissors
10 years ago

There are many gourd threads on these forums but not many talk about them for us northerners. It takes a long growing season for the big gourds (Dipper, Birdhouse, Bushel, Nigerian, Swan, ect) to reach maturity and if they are picked before mature they will just rot instead of cure while in storage.

(Small gourds grow great-guns and you end up with a couple 5 gallon buckets full of them by October from each plant...but alas many of those rot in storage too.)

I've had so-so luck with Birdhouse, Swan, Dipper, Snake and Nigerian gourds but zero luck with Bushels. I start my plants early in the greenhouse, and then plant them out after June 1st on a rainy day. I tuck a bunch of loose straw around them just to act as a blanket. They grow fast and produce many (7 or 8) gourds each. Only the very first gourds will have enough time to mature though. After July 15th, those gourds will be useless, so I pick them off. One tip I have learned is to pinch the growing tip off the vine as soon as it gets growing good after transplant. This makes the plant put out side shoots and for some reason, more female flowers. Also, gourds like lots of fertilizer, so I give a steady supply of a low nitrogen blend only until July 15th. Then no more. Fertilizer makes the gourds rot instead of cure if you keep giving it to them.

Most threads advise that you pick the gourds right before a hard frost and bring them into a cool, dark place with lots of air flow. That might work for some....it never has for me. I leave mine right in the garden on the fence or trellis. Yep, right through fall, past winter, and then in late spring is when I pick them. (make sure they are not touching the ground). By then they are either rotted or mostly cured. I get about 50%-50%. Mother nature does a far better job curing them than I have been able to manage in my shed or garage.

Does anyone here have any helpful tips for northern gourd growers? I have trouble with germinating seeds and only get about 10% germination rate, even though I nick the seed, and paper towel them at 85 degrees F. (29 C.). After 1 month the seeds have either sprouted or rotted...most rot.