Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loonlakegal

Rozanne geranium

loonlakegal
16 years ago

I live in zone 2b and wondered if anyone out there has grown Rozanne geranium successfully in this zone? I have other hardy geranium that grow well but I have not tried Rozanne yet.

Comments (12)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

Well, I had protected this one and it had grown and flowered vigorously! ... totally covered in blooms and indeed flowering over a very long period. Then it got some kind of virus and totally runted out and died, and so I might be inclinded to get another one ... though, that does not quite answer your question reguarding it being hardy.

Terry

• loonlakegal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Terry-your response was very useful as I can grow many plants in zone 3. I shall look for one then when I go shopping later next month.

Annie1

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

Annie1,I just checked and this one is rated to zone 4 ... so yes, winter protection is very advisable ... though, it's worth the extra bit of work!

BTW ... for many years I've grown 'Patricia', one I've seen rated as high as zone 5. I had simply dug it up and placed it within my coldroom for the winter. After divding it I had left one outside and indeed it had died.

Terry

• redpeony
    16 years ago

I have 5 geranium Rozannes that I planted last year as quite small plants. So far they have done well for me here, they grew a lot last year and bloomed right up to frost. I did not winter protect them and so far this spring just one out of the five has emerged, but we've been very cold here recently so nothing has really grown in the last 10 days or so. The last of the snow drift melted off them this weekend (again...)so I hope to see some more growth in a week or two. Hopefully now any more precipiation will fall as rain! I can let you know if they all grow again this spring if you want. I must say that other than the cold spring, our winter was fairly mild here - so most zone 4 plants would probably be fine this past year.
    I ordered mine last year from Fraser's Thimble Farms since I hadn't seen them around here for a good price, and although the plants were small when I first planted them, they really established quickly. Last year the Superstore in my area carried them as well, so they shouldn't be too expensive now as an experiment.

Janet

• loonlakegal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks very much for the information. I will definately try the Rozanne then.I will give it winter protection to be on the safe side.

Annie1

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I purchased a Rozanne the other day. I was looking at all of the geraniums and along came one of the workers, who told me that this particular one was her favorite. She told me her oldest one is 4 years old. So....this pricey plant ended up in my cart.
    I also am trying a Phillip Vapelle and Elke.

Elke is blooming now.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Shelley, Phillipe Vapelle is one of my favorite geraniums. I love its leaves.

{{gwi:702043}}

I also got an Elke the other day when I picked up my order from Lindenberg's. So, we'll see what it is like. I did order a Rozanne from Lindenberg's but their wholesaler didn't send it so I couldn't get it.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I really like the look of the leaves too. That was the main reason I bought it. How long have you had yours Brenda?

Another thing the lady told me at the greenhouse about Rozanne was that it looks alot like Johnsons Blue, but it doesn't get floppy. Plus it blooms all summer.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I bought mine for $5.29 at LaCoste Greenhouse in Winnipeg in 2003. (I'm glad I have a detailed database so I could answer your question.)

What did you pay for yours?

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

It was $9.99 less 10%. The greenhouses here seem to be more$$$$.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Yes, Shelley, I think that when we compared prices that the alstromeria was also a lot more expensive at your local greenhouse than at the one here in Brandon...almost double the price...if my memory serves me correctly.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

You are correct. They are double the price this year as well. Plus they only got in 2 different kinds again.

Shelley