Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McFayden Root Stock Order

Posted by bdgardener 3 AB (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 17:01

Just received my root stock order from McFayden. I have never ordered root stock from them before. Thought I would let everyone know that I was really pleased. I ordered a Thornless blackberry and it is huge. And I also ordered 75 Tristar strawberries they are also have huge root systems and each bunch (25) actually had 27.

Last year I had some root stock come from vesey's and was not pleased. It didn't arrive until June. It was also extremely small and it doesn't look like most survived our winter.

I will order from McFayden again. Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McFayden Root Stock Order

I didn't know about McFayden. I'll have to try them next year, as they're closer to home and my climate.

I ordered my first ever order from Vesey's. Unfortunately, I probably won't know if it's good quality or not, as I don't really know what to expect.

I ordered some Seascape Strawberries because it said you could plant them in pots. I think they look so nice when you hang them up. How big were your plants? I'm not familiar at all with the terminology. Could you tell me in terms of say, the size of a deck of cards, or your fist, etc.?

I hope I receive my order before June =:(

I wonder if I should phone them......

o

Hi, the strawberries from Vesey's last year arrived late and were dried out. I ordered the strawberries colection. Cabot, Tristar and Seascape. The root systems were not as big as a deck of card and the crowns were no bigger than a quarter in circumference. The McFayden strawberries had root systems that are 5-8 inches in length and the crowns are at least a twoonie or bigger in size. Hope you get some good ones, who knows. I should have gotten a credit but got so busy and was hoping for the best. For the price I think it is still worth ordering rather than buying potted ones locally here in AB.

o

Thanks for the info. Now I know what to look for.

I think Weeper ordered the same gladiolas as I did from Vesey's, so hopefully we'll get a bunch of good ones.

o

I haven't had a lot of luck with plants from Vesey's or Dominion Seed House. I'm sticking with Botanus - they have excellent plants and excellent customer service.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here