beegood_gw

Spring is here

beegood_gw
12 years ago

Little critters are coming out of hiding

Comments (10)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Awwww! What a cutie! We have a nest of red babies somewhere around here. And probably bunnies too since She has been feeding here all winter. They are probably under someones' shed around here. :)

Ginny

• Collin001
    12 years ago

Yep. This is the earliest my trees have blossomed. Ignore my fence...doing some landscaping.
    Hybrid hazel nuts ready for planting..

I've included this picture to display the 5 gallon bucket with holes in the bottom. The bucket was needed because at the time I could not immediate plant. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. Transporting these things was done with wet paper wrapped inside a garbage bag otherwise transporting might dry out the roots. The roots have to wet at all times I was told.

Pears

Second pear with some elephant garlic I tried just for the heck of it.

Asian Plum. Robust root system!

Hope there are no more frosts....

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Spring has left town here - maybe it moved west!

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Great shot, Beegood!

I don't like seeing trees push early, anything out are prone to frost kill until mid may, here anyway.
    Great trees!.. What are these by names? What zone are you in?
    Pears push early...hopefully you make out good, you can always bring them in when in pots..looks like a resent purchase.

• Collin001
    12 years ago

That is a good shot Beegood.

Dutch Growers defines Regina as 2b Konrad. From your pictures last year your season starts up about a week earlier in Edmonton and we frost hard somewhere on the 10th-12th of Sept. So our season ends sooner.

The bottom pic is a Pembina Plum. 2nd from the bottom was a 4" plug from the U of S 2 summers ago. If memory serves me correctly it was called Ivanofka plum. Same goes for the hazel nuts except they are one summer old. They were were spendy at 10 dollars ea. though. The pears are John and Thomas from Little Tree Nursery in Martinsville I picked up in the fall. I heeled them in near a shed but couldn't place them permanently last year.

The good news is all the plums are blossoming within a few days of each other.

Here is the Toka plum I was recommended as a pollinator for the Pembina.

I can't believe that the last plant to remain in stasis is my hybrid apricot, also from the U of S. When or if it starts up I may throw it in as well if it is okay with Beegood.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Thanks Collin,
    Looking good!
    According to the link your'e 3b, same as Edmonton, I'm out of town and about 2 weeks later, more of a zone 2b, your grass and trees are well ahead of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardiness zone

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

Regina summers are warmer than Edmonton's, even if the growing season lengths are comparable.
    That is a really cute pic, btw. How far were you from it when you snapped the picture, beegood?

• Collin001
    12 years ago

I think that zone map is too generous Konrad. We hit or surpass minus 40f every 5th or so year. 3A according to USDA zone guidelines and using Environment Canada's crummy map is -40F. Between -40F and -45F is 2b according to USDA which reflects the extreme end of weather here.

I am surprised that we are ahead in budding. I always thought it was the other way around.

If you want cute, try the little monsters (there were two) who destroyed the sand cherry and burning bushes I had at the beginning of the year. Little home wreckers....lol

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love that picture. A lot like one that Robert Bateman painted. Hard to hate those bunnys. Always wrap my younger trees with those plastic spirals for the winter.

• Collin001
    11 years ago

The blossoms have started. Hope this livens up your day beegood.
    Pembina blossoms are odd. The buds start 10 days after the Toka buds but are always the first to open. The have a hurry up sequence to them that is fun to watch.

Conversely the Toka buds start first but take forever to open.

I have one pear that is quite a bit ahead of the other.

Same tree but shows the structure of the open blossom which adds to the mood.