Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Plants that don't need to be fertilized

sierra_z2b
18 years ago

Someone started a thread on plants that don't need to be fertilized, but I can't find it now. So how bout we start the list over again.

My package of Godetia seed said it didn't need to be fertilized....so what are some of the other plants? I want to plant them all in the same area so I will remember not to fertilize them.

Sierra

Comments (11)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

I've heard that morning glories and cosmos can do without. I usually plant them together (and i even remembered last year to plant the MGs in front of the cosmos! LOL)

• savona
    18 years ago

I read that also about godetia (to fertilize sparingly)..and last year my seedlings looked scraggly and didnt seem to florish untill I started to fertilize them at least 2 times a week..this year I have been fertilizing my seedlings at least once a week and they look so much better..plus have buds already..so the fertilizer isn't just producing green growth. Peonies and day lilies are carefree and dont need exta feeding usually..savona

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

***puts hand up*** that was me that started that other thread! Funny you should bring this up because I was just thinking about that.

Nasturtiums
    Cobaea -- Cup and Saucer Vine (I believe is on the list?)

I never really fertilize my marigolds either and they bloom like crazy.

~Ang~

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Hopefully this link works.

Otherwise, it was under "Besides Cosmos and Nasturtiums..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Discussion

• northspruce
    18 years ago

A little research has yielded the following suggestions for plants that like nutrient-poor soil. It's interesting to note that there's a lot of overlap between low nutrient needs, tolerance of alkalinity, alpine and rock plants, and drought tolerance...

If anyone disagrees with anything on this list please point it out. I haven't grown all these to know if it's accurate.

Perennials:
    Yarrow (Achillea sp.)
    Crown Vetch (Coronilla varia)
    Sweet William (Dianthus sp.)
    Daylilies (Hemerocallis sp.)
    Cinquefoil (Potentilla sp.)
    Creeping phlox (Phlox subulata)
    St. Johnswort (Hypericum sp.)
    Sedum (Coreopsis verticillata)
    Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)
    Lamb's ears (Stachys byzantina)
    Lily-of-the-Valley (Convallaria majalis)
    Goutweed (Aegopodium podagraria)
    Mulleins (Verbascum sp.)
    Gaillardia (Gaillardia pulchella)

Annuals:
    Annual Vinca (Cataranthus roseus)
    Calliopsis (Coreopsis tinctoria)
    Clarkia (Clarkia hybrids)
    Cockscomb (Celosia argentea)
    Cockscomb (Celosia cristata)
    Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
    Cosmos (Cosmos species)
    Four oÂclock (Mirabilis jalapa)
    Garden Balsam (Impatiens balsamina)
    Gold Medallion (Melampodium paludosum)
    JosephÂs Coat (Amaranthus tricolor)
    Livingstone Daisy (Dorotheanus belledformis)
    Love Lies Bleeding (Amaranthus caudatus)
    Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia rotundifolia)
    Morning Glory (Ipomoea sp.)
    Portulaca (Portulaca grandiflora)
    Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus)
    Poppies (Papaver species)
    Purple Fountain Grass (Pennisetum setaceum)
    Spider Flower (Cleome hasslerana)
    Sweet Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
    Verbena (Verbena sp.)

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info all!

I very rarely fertilize the perennials....usually just the pots and a few annuals in the ground. I add compost and or manure every year to the perennials beds.

Gil....maybe that is why my verbena always looks scraggly, this will help when I plant.

Crazydaisy....I don't know why I can never find these threads when I want to go back to them.....I search and search and finally give up. LOL!

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Sierra, I know the feeling! Been there, done that! LOL

Gil, that's a great list. I will cut and paste it so I can find it later .... OK, so then it gets lost somewhere in my Word files ;^)

~Ang~

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bumping this to page 1 so its easier to find. LOL!!!

Hope that is allowed. :O

Sierra

• triple_b
    18 years ago

This is a good plant list to have. I have a couple friends that I give some plant babies to and these plants have to put up with indifference and overall neglect. I don't give these friends any of the more unusual specimens anymore, just the ones that thrive on neglect. For instance I gave a friend a bag of some lovely tulip bulbs last year for her new home, then I added some daffodils because they have deer around their place. Last time I chatted, (like last week) she STILL had not planted them.GRRRRRRR! It meant alot to me to give them to her. I learned my lesson.

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well triple_b, If you are going to give none gardening people presents of plants, or bulbs.....it might be best if you ask first or plant them for them. Not everyone is interested in gardening......although I can't imagine why NOT! :O

Sierra :-))

• triple_b
    18 years ago

Well here is the rub. They show interest. One even has a garden, and the other, well, tries. Darn Yuppie spends too much time on her sailboat in the summer.(Am I bitter? hmmm...let's explore that further.)