Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanly_gw

Petunia cuttings

stanly
15 years ago

Well, I started 12 pink Avalanche petunias some time ago, they all germinated and since then I've been taking cuttings like crazy and now have 61 petunias, 18 of which are still under a dome to keep them moist. The other day, I took the cover of so I could "spritze" them with water and forgot to put the cover back on. An hour later I remembered and when I check, boy were they ever withered. However, I spritzed them again, put the cover back on and they have recovered. Looks like my containers with have a "Pink" theme this year.

Stan

Comments (16)

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

61 petunias sounds like a lot. Your yard will be very pretty and petuniaful.

I am taking petunia cuttings today, I hope if I have the time.

Sierra

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Yes, taking cuttings is the way to go with petunias! I have kept over several of the expensive cutting grown types and will soon take a whole whack of cuttings. Some places are now charging up to $5.00 a plant, so that would quickly become very expensive for anyone who would desire to grow lots of them!

Terry

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

My theme will be yellow - those Prism Sunshines are prolific petunias!

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

I do a 100 cuttings every year ;)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I want to try keeping some of mine this winter. To take cuttings, do you root them in water or stick them in seeding mix and put them under cover? Sounds like the way to go. Marg

• oilpainter
    15 years ago

marric: I never start any plants in water. I don't think you get true roots in water. Cut below a leaf because the roots come from a leaf node. dip them in rooting hormone and plant them

15 years ago

I do impatiens in water but not petunias. Do them as oilpainter does. I managed to keep a container of waves going over one winter and they bloomed beautifully nice and early, but petered out quickly after that.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Oilpainter: I prefer to start cuttings in soil to but didn't know which was best for petunias. I have some Ramblin' petunias I'd like to do. Thanks for the advice.
    marcia: Just thought I'd let you know that when mine (impatiens) went to seed, I sprinkled the seeds on a new planter and over wintered it inside. Before I stored them in the garage but now I use the sunroom. When I store them inside, I usually kept them out of direct sunlight. I didn't start watering the planter til Feb. or March and the impatiens grew beautifully. I have also done that with gazania, asarina and lobelia. Saves time later on. Marg

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Ya Sharon, I remember your row of petunia baskets. How many petunia cuttings do you put in each basket? Are they 10 inch baskets?

I took a tray of petunia cuttings yesterday, but didn't do an actual count. I just put them in soilless mix. The impatiens for my impatiens wall, I start from fresh purchased seed each year.

Sierra

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Petunias are easy to keep over in a cool frost free place, 4 or 5 C is good. The dormant plants do not require light during their winter rest. In early April, I bring them into the warmth and trim back and they soon resprout tons of stems for cutting :)

Sharon, what are your favorite varieties?

Terry

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Sierra, I use 12" baskets and plant 2-3. This year I'm going to do 2 Petunias and 1 trailing lobelia in the front like a did a few years ago.

Terry, I really like the Tidal Waves, they seem to thrive from Spring to Fall. Cherry Tidal Wave being my favourite colour.

Sharon

15 years ago

I don't have the cool places some of you have for storing things. One corner of the garage would be good - it's minimally heated in the winter - but we use that for potatoes, onions and carrots and there isn't much room for anything else. I keep my begonia bulbs and a few other tubers there but couldn't keep whole containers. It would be great to have, though!

• sherry_beu_midco_net
    13 years ago

Would you take the whole large planter of petunias into a garage which is kept at about 40 degrees? Should the planter be allowed to dry out before bringing in? I have been covering my planters as we already are having frost. They are still in bloom and very green.
    Thanks for any advice.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

I dig and cut back the plants and place several together in large containers that are placed into the cold room which is maintained at about 3 or 4 C. I use light peaty soil, do NOT use heavy sticky garden soil, as it holds excess moisture and encourage roots to rot. Be sure that plants are sitting at the same level they had been in the garden and water sparingly and only when necessary. They will not require light to make it through the long months of winter. I also just toss container grown petunias into the cold room. Plants are brought into the warmth in mid March and cuttings taken when new growth is several inches high. Cutting grown petunias have become expensive and this is a good way to save some major bucks!

Terry

• trailer_gal
    13 years ago

Thanks for answering, Terry. I see that you all are starting your cuttings from your wintered petunias in April. When you bring the plants in the cool, less lighted area for the winter do you cut them back any? They are maybe 20". The planter is 21" across and 19" tall. The other 17" by 14". They are really soaked right now as it is raining and threatening to turn to snow. Should I bring them in the warm dry house for awhile so they can dry out a bit? I would think maybe they are too wet to be put in a cool, low light place.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Trailer_gal ... yes, soaked containers should be allowed to dry out before being placed in cold storage. I cut plants back to about 10 to 12 inches.

Snow here and the petunias are still outside ... oh, well, they're tough and the weather is set to improve.

Terry

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor