Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
malva sylvestris zebrina

Posted by rita_from_mb 2b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 17:36

I received some so called malva sylvestris zebrina seeds in a seed swap. When I look it up some sources say it is a perenial mallow some say annual (from 24-48 inches), some say don't try to raise from seed because germination is difficult. I would say that about 50% of my seeds sprouted (I'm happy, it was free seed). What are people's experience with this flower on the praires zone 2-3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: malva sylvestris zebrina

I've never had them act as a perennial, however they will self-seed like crazy if left be in the fall. Once sowed in the garden, you'll always have them in your garden.

Don't waste indoor space, they are very easy to direct sow or wintersow.

Sharon

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 19:07

I agree with Sharon. I have had them act like a perennial though. The first year it only grew to 2 1/2-3', the next it got taller, and the stem became like a trunk. I ended up pulling out the old thick ones, which have a tap root, and letting the small ones take over. They do get rust so before you plant, put some cornmeal in the hole. Marg.

o

I agree with zebrina acting like an annual and self seeding, although last year I saw that they were selling it at our garden center as a perennial. I do find that in our zone 3 climate they need a head start so I start them with an clear plastic bottle over them. I cut the bottom out of liter pop bottles and set them into the ground a week or so before I plant to warm the ground and then I plant 3 seeds, take the lid off of the bottle. this acts like a clouch, When the seeds sprout I thin them to 1.

An alternate way is to cut a piece of row cover and put over the plot after you plant them. They transplant very easily

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here