Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Altaglow [ornamental] Saskatoon?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 17:58

It's a rare species, white-fruited...if you're growing this one I would like to hear more about it, overall performance etc. link below.

from the web...
ALTAGLOW
Another selection from the Peace River country, Altaglow was introduced in 1935 by Brooks Research Station in Alberta. It was released in 1960. It is considered an ornamental rather than a fruiting variety. It has an erect columnar form and brilliant fall color. With a height of eight feet, its foliage is retained into fall, changing from dark green to deep purple, bright red, and yellow. It is self-sterile and white-fruited. But is readily pollinated by blue-fruited saskatoons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Altaglow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Altaglow [ornamental] Saskatoon?

from another site.....

Altaglow
Originated in Red Deer
River valley, Alberta (51N), and selected by A. Griffin prior to 1923; wild plant transplanted to Alberta Horticultural Research Station, Brooks.

o

I found this on a U of Idaho extension page..describes Altaglow as being 20 ft rather than 8...

A tall, columnar shrub that grows about 20 ft tall with a spread of 10 ft. The berries are large, white, and sweet but bland. Self sterile, so plant another cultivar nearby to set fruit. Produces brilliant fall foliage and was selected for use in large landscapes.

On another site I read it described as having sparse white flowers in spring(this site also described it as having great fall color and being tall).

Can't find any info anywhere on where to find it though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Altaglow

o

Thanks weeper for your effort,..I've seen this too, not much else can be found.

Just wondering if someone grows this,..was able to get some scion wood at exchange at Devonian Garden, hopefully it will take and can do a little experimentation.

Still, ..conflicting report, one source say's it came from Peace river, the other from Red Deer, would be nice to know if it still exist in the wild.

o

Now I saw your graft I did some searching Konrad, Greengate Garden Centre in Calgary supposedly has them but it hasn't arrived on their trucks yet. I'm gonna check there when I go to Calgary in a few weeks and maybe get one, I'm excited about trying it out!

o

Great,...you'll be ahead of the game, let us know how they make out.
I was supposed to show you about grafting but got side tracked or the heat got me when digging trees LOL.

o

I'm glad I wasn't the only one affected by the heat, sunglasses are on my list now! I don't know if I'll be doing any grafting soon but I'll definitely ask you first, you've done amazing things in your nursery :)

o

It looks like the graft has taken, [onto another blue fruited one] it will need several years to tell if it will be compatible, [not being rejected].

photo IMG_7811_zpsa648a0a2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here