Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bleeding Hearts for Zone 1

Posted by arcticiris 1 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 18:45

OK--My mother, a masterful gardener, has a bleedng heart (dicentra spectabilis) in her yard, surrounded by delphiniums. But everything I read about bleeding hearts says zone 4. Where can I get a bleeding heart that will survive zone 2-3 microclimate? I can give it my best spot, protected and sunny. I love that plant of my mother's:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bleeding Hearts for Zone 1

Bleeding hearts do fine in zone 3. I'm sure they'd do fine in zone 2. They're one of those plants that would survive a nuclear war.

o

Bleeding heart is a very hardy perennial. It does great in my zone. Are you referring to the US zone numbers? I am in zone 1b on the Canadian zonal map which is equivalent to US 2 or 3, I think.

o

US Zone 1, we get lows of -70 F at least once a winter. I think that is about -56 C. Any specific recommendations? Muchas Gracias!

o

My thermometer only goes down to -45C, which is also -45F at that point. When it actually gets that cold, it's my idea of hell. I don't want to experience anything colder!
Where are you? What grows in other gardens there?

o

Fairbanks, which is interior Alaska. we get the temperature extremes: 80 degrees in summer, and 70 below in winter (F). (These are extremes--I was born here and I would pack up and ship out if we go 2 months of -70!!!)In terms of perennials, we can grow them: irises do really well, rugosa roses are the plant version of cockroaches:), siberian peas, hardy lilacs, spruce. We can (sort of, with protection) overwinter garlic and asparagus. Plant out date is June 20th, 1st frost around end of August, but most of us use cold-frames, greenhouses, cloches, raised beds, clear plastic, etc to get a jump start adn extend teh season. We work pretty hard to provide a microclimate in our yards. But Nome has it worse, at teh top of AK, they don;t really get temperatures above 60, adn spend a month longer in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here