Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to Foil the Rabbit

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 18:54

The darned rabbit that ate my rose bushes this winter, is now going after all my green bits coming up. There's tulips, allium, crocuses, etc.

How does everyone else deal with rabbits? Does human or cat hair help, or is that just a myth? If it does work, do I have to litter the yard with it? Or, would garden netting help?

I used to think the thing was cute, but not any more. I wish the voles would eat him, LOL ! Oh wait ! I wish the rabbit would eat the voles. No, wait ! Maybe I could rent a bunch of cats and dogs and get rid of the lot =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to Foil the Rabbit

Blood meal works great, applied thickly enough that you can see it around the new sprouts. The years I forget to use it (such as this one.. argh) the darn bunny eats all my tulips.

Oh and don't believe the hype about dogs, I have four and this spring there was almost as much bunny poop in my backyard as there was dog poop. >:0(

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 8:47

If the moles ate the rabbits, wouldn't they multiply faster? Careful what you wish for. I just sic the dog after them. If you do have rose canes, try putting them down between the plants, the thornier the canes the better. Marg

o

I know what you mean...it gets very discouraging...not sure if it will work, some chicken wire around,..or lay over suspended a bit on sticks, cheap and last for a while.

o

I've also noted bloodmeal works well. Last summer I bought a large cheap shaker (the kind restaurants put grated parmesan in) and used this to sprinkle bloodmeal around the sites I was most worried about.

The only downside to bloodmeal/bonemeal is you have to regularly reapply after rain.

Haven't tried the human/dog hair but I've also heard about this. I also read somewhere that garlic tends to ward off rabbits (or maybe that's just to keep away the vampire rabbits ;) )

o

Yes you do have to reapply after rain but IME the bunnies are only interested in the newest shoots so you shouldn't need to worry after they start blooming. IF they start blooming. I can't tell if the bunny ate the flower buds yet.

o

Lots of people over here are having bunny problems, too. I put up a two foot fence and didn't have any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here