Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunrise Serenade Morning Glories

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 19:55

I have a package of seeds from last year that I'd like to try.

Are there any tricks (after using a knife or sandpaper) to growing these, starting indoors?

Easy? Difficult?

I know morning glories are supposed to grow like weeds, but I've only had them once, and I've never started them myself.

Because of the short growing season, and probably even shorter this year, I'd like them to have a head start.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunrise Serenade Morning Glories

My inlaws hate morning glories (or the subspecies they were accustomed too) because it was impossible to get rid of (Vancouver Island). I have nothing to help you other than the fact I think they are beautiful and am going to try a few next year.

o

Morning glories are very easy to start and I grow them every year. They will often reseed for me as well.

I have never nicked my seed. I soak them in wet towels or paper towels for a few days until they sprout and then pop them right in the ground. They prefer warm soil so I plant them when I plant beans and corn.

Morning glories don't like to be disturbed much although I have started them in peat pellets in the past.They grow fast in the house and then just get tangled.....my experience. :)

I say go for it, Lynn. They are absolutely gorgeous in bloom on a sunny morning. :)

Ginny

o

I soak mine for awhile before planting. I've started them ahead of time but they don't usually do too much. Peat pellets or peat pots would be a good idea, i think. Once in awhile mne reseed, but not too often.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 22:50

I grew morning glories for the first time last year - loved, loved, loved them. I do the same as Ginny and Marcia, soak them in damp paper towels (I put mine in a ziploc to help it stay wet) until they sprout, then I planted those into 6-cells.

o

Soaking in damp paper towels sounds pretty easy :)

I guess now would be much too soon then.

I remember how beautiful they were a few years ago when I bought them already established in a large pot. They were blue and pink if I recall. I'm looking forward to the Sunrise Serenade that I have if they're even close to what the picture shows.

Thank you all.

Lynn

o

I love Morning Glories too, and they will almost grow themselves, but what are you growing them up?

If it is a trellis, or some sort of wire that has fairly large openings it is good...but if you're planning to put them on chainlink fencing, or chicken wire....beware!!!

MG tendrils grow up and around any and every conceivable wire...which is a delight to the eyes....but miserable to remove come fall. I've even left it up over winter thinking the stems would soften by spring: they don't. It takes alot of finger strength and time to untwist each and every little tendril off the fence. With larger fencing you can sort of yank it down, clip, yank, clip, yank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here