Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tasting large tomatoes?

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 20:09

Okay, Im trying to ignore the weather for now

What large fruited tomatoes are you finding to give the best flavor and production? I know many stick to the old varieties such as Manitoba, Early Girl and Starfire but, any newcomers that please your palette? For years Ive relied upon Pilgrim, dependable and reasonably productive, though lacks in that real good tomato flavor I want something tastier!

For smallies, I love the flavor of Sungold (cracks badly) Sweet Million and Early Cascade.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tasting large tomatoes?

Brandywine, I like all of them. Mortgage lifter is great. For new ones the Goliath either original or old-fashioned.

o

Have you try Cherokee Purple? I found some in Rona last year.

April9

o

If you can handle pounds and pounds of fresh eating, flavorful tomatoes, you may find carmello a nice variety. I loved this tomato but for my small family more than 1 plant is just too much--we just couldn't eat all of them and even my neighbors cried out "no more". I got the seeds from Renee's Garden, but you probably can find it on other sites.

o

I have not tried any of the above ... but, that Carmello does indeed sound suited to this climate and also being productive and tasty ... the ideal tomato? ... I guess I'll have to wait till next year, unless by chance some of the nurseries will be carrying plants? I'll keep my eye out for the other sugguestions also ... thanks!

Terry

o

Well, I've been reading that Early Girl is one of the better tasting varieties, and of course easy to find as transplants at this time of the year.

Terry

o

Hi Terry,

I've found that most home grown tomatoes are very tasty,,
Alot of the heirloom varieties do have the full tomato experience...meaty and full of flavor...
Oxheart is another meaty tomato that has good flavor...
and does well in a northern climate.. I've found some of the southern ones don't get to really 'come to fruition' so to speak,, (they don't have enough time to really show what they can do, because we have such a short growing season).

But you should try many kinds, because you don't know what kind of summer we will have,, it could be hot and long, just what tomatoes love..

Happy gardening,,
Rob

o

I agree with Brandywine. I grew it for the first time last year. After spending the first 1/2 of the summer complaining about it (didn't seem to be setting fruit, too big, looks like it's unhealthy, etc., to the point I was already saying I wouldn't waste time growing it again), we got the first HUGE ripe tomato. Oh, my gosh. Yummy, yummy. If I can only grow one full size tomato (I can't give up my little cherry tomatoes), that will be it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here