Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mary liss pin cherry Evans sour

Posted by crazyone zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 20:58

any one in southern Alberta zone 3 grow mary liss pin cherry or evans sour cherry? do they seed rapidly like the nanking or make a mess? Are the sour cherry good for jam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mary liss pin cherry Evans sour

I think mary liss is our native pin cherry, prunus pensylvanica, you find them in the bush, we have lots up here. If I was you, go with the Evans sour cherry, about 10 X larger berry and make excellent jam. Pick them just before the frost for higher sugar content. [if birds don't get them]. Not sure what you mean by seed rapidly. Evans can stay on the bush if you don't pick them right over winter and dry up..birds will eat some, not messy, nice fall color.

o

Agreed with Konrad, why go for the tiny native pincherry cultivar when vastly bigger fruit is available in hardy sour cherries? You might also want to check out the new bush-cherry cultivars coming out of the University of Saskatchewan cherry breeding program... tall bushes, hardier than Evans, big fruit with high sugar content (but still sour cherries).

o

My older brother is a cherry nut, he grows close to a dozen cultivars. His top pick is still Carmine Jewel. Evans is too prone to dieback and suckering, the fruit is good but not reliable. The newer Sask cultivars have merits but are not bullet proof hardy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here