Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

How are Your Evergreens This Year?

nutsaboutflowers
11 years ago

It's been a long winter.

My Brandon Cedars are holding up, my cheap WalMart evergreens (the name escapes me) look fine although the snow has them pretty spread out.

The ones that concern me are the junipers. The tips are looking dry and brown when I look out my back window. Would that be sun scald, windburn, or is there something possibly going wrong?

Are anyone else's suffering?

Comments (5)

• runswithscissors
    11 years ago

Have you ever tried Wilt-Pruf? I haven't tried it, but I've read that if you spray it on your evergreens it keeps them from drying out so bad in the winter.

I do know that some of my arborvatias (sorry I'm so terrible at spelling) turn that browney looking in the winter, but as soon as spring gets here they turn back to green and feel soft again.

• don555
    11 years ago

I've noticed a lot of browning/winter-burn on evergreens lately. It has been such a long winter this year -- freeze-up around October 20, with the ground still frozen solid now in early April... that's coming up 6 months that the evergreens can't get any moisture from the ground, so no wonder they are suffering.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

My only evergreens are Lamium 'lemon frost' and they look good. Hopefully this year I will get some evergreen shrubs. A local nursery has a 50% off sale in sept that I plan to take full advantage of this year :)

I would love to see pics of peeps evergreens....I am suffering from OZE and need some relief.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

My cedar has had its bottom half eaten by starving deer. My mugo pines are past their prime and getting gangly. My Colorado blue spruce are 70-ish feet tall and lost a lot of needles the past two summers but they're certainly not dying. That's all I've got.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

I'm sort of afraid to look. The big colorado spruce in our yard look fine, they never seem to suffer. The ones that were planted last year and the year before are probably OK because they've been covered in snow all winter. But I have a couple of weeping norway spruce that I don't even want to go look at, because if they lose needles they look pretty terrible(they are still fairly young, so any damage is very noticeable). And they get a lot of south exposure.

I know by this point most of the damage is probably already done and there isn't anything I can do about it except hope that it thaws soon so they can get water again. Hoping for the best!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH