Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Looking for brookcot apricot trees in Calgary can somebody please

mattpf (zone4)
10 years ago

I'm looking for another hardy strain of apricot other than westcot I've already got three. I've got a bit of space trying to find another hardy variety apricot but cannot ,everybody only seems to carry westcot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments (10)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Not much help but wanted to ask if you're after one for pollinating? Some say it needs another, some say no, most are self fruitful, sure it doesn't hurt to get another, it might help.
    I had a fruiting Capilano Apricot, no other pollinator, it died after transplanting.

Any crop on yours?

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No fruit yet konrad They are all only around 8 ft On second year now.
    I'm just looking for another strain. I'm not worried about pollination I've got a few prunus trees and shrubs . I left one Stella cherry tree out last winter unprotected and it survived but suffered . I want very hardy trees I'm going to see how much of the Stella actually comes back aswell a barlette pair that comes back every year and flowers but suffers more die back than it grows in a single season .the trees are getting smaller every year because of the amount I need. To prune them back.

Would you reccomend cutting them down Konrad ? Theirs no point keeping trees that won't produce.... Or will they ? I find every year the new growth dies back and some in winter but the thicker branches survive and bud . Will it get to a point where it may work you guys think or should I cut my losses and grow something that works

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

These Apricots are pretty hardy but most often spring blossoms
    get killed off due to night cold/frost. About ones in 5 to 7 years [average] you'll get fruit set when we get a late start in spring and winter temp. were low, not damaging fruit buds.
    So,..this year would make it extremely promising because we're about 3 weeks late and winter was mild.

What I might try is this, graft some plums onto you apricots, at least then you'll get some fruits most every year.

I see the same with heavier branches over the years, taking
    winter much better then young trees,..sometimes it's going
    a step backwards again.

I got some sweet cherries just for experimentation, they give me scion wood for new trials on different root stock, or grafting low and train branches close to the ground for winter protection, snow cover, if any?

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still amazed that even 5 years later I have not been able to find a single brookcot in Alberta ?

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    5 years ago

But why are you still looking?....I thought you're not interested anymore in hardy apricot after this statement the other day...

>>Not that interested in super hardy apricots. I’m more interested in ways of producing nice quality apricots in Calgary.<<

• weeper_11
    5 years ago

Matt, I know you specifically said Alberta, but I noticed on the U of S fruit sale page they said they were selling seedlings of a cross between Brookcot and a named (but unregistered) variety of their own. If you really want to track some down, you could email someone from the fruit program and find out if they can help you out. The university was helpful to me when I wanted to find specific varieties of rose that are not available elsewhere.

• Pyrus Ussuriensis (z3)
    5 years ago

Was the brookcot developed in Brooks?

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes as with brooks gold and red plums.

Ive read that brookcot is good a quality Manchurian apricot. The other hardy varieties like m604 westcot Debbie’s gold are hybrids between p .Manchurian x p.armeniaca

they also tried peaches in brooks but were unable to produce decent crops of them.

• Pyrus Ussuriensis (z3)
    5 years ago

It might be around there still, will have to ask around...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus