Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding cow manure to the garden plot

Posted by canadianprairiegirl zone 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 22:40

last fall my husband broke up our hayfield close to the house and has allocated me a good size piece for a new vegetable garden. We have cattle and its our usual practice to clean the corrals each spring, pushing the manure into a pile where it composts for a few months and then haul it out onto the fields in the fall. My future garden spot got a healthy dose of this stuff and I later worked my garden spot with a tractor roto tiller last fall. My question is this: should I be concerned about an ecoli infestation next year in vegetables grown in this soil? I'm kind of confused between what is aged manure and composted manure....fresh I get, but can anyone clarify. I was hoping to plant corn, tomatoes, bush peas, bush beans, and zucchini here the first year. Any thoughts???? Thank-you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding cow manure to the garden plot

Hi, Prairiegirl,
I don't have the answer for you, but I can guarantee you would get a lot of helpful advice on the Soil,Compost & Mulch forum on gardenweb.
They have a very active forum and some well informed people participating over there.
But don't get me wrong; I don't mean to suggest that there aren't knowledgeable people here, it's just that your type of specific question might be better answered there.
Good luck with your new garden.

o

You're fine, I add it to my plots every other year. It should brake down quickly in the spring. Cheryl

o

• Posted by hykue 2b Saskatchewan (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 17:58

Furthermore, none of the veggies you mentioned are root crops. I might be a little leery of root crops if you didn't think the manure was composted enough, but if it's all above-ground crops and you wash them, I would think it couldn't be an issue. I would think that the manure would be safe once it had "composted", even for a few months, as long as it was getting enough oxygen and water and heated up properly. On the other hand, I'm certainly no public health expert. I guess I should say, I would eat all of them after washing them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here