Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nman_gw

I'm very sad I moved to a colder zone!!!!!

nman
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the Thompson MB area. I'm wondering when my first frost free day is? When do people start planting outside? What

flowering plants do people like to plant in zone 0b? Are we stuck planting annuals? Any information would be useful!!! Who would of thought I would miss zone 3. I think I should move to a zone 5 or 6 they seem to get the nice flowers. lol

I just hope the snow will melt.

Comments (14)

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Wow! I didn't even know there was a zone 0b. If it makes you feel any better, we had a snow storm blow into Calgary today. I have a two foot drift in my front yard and it's still snowing. Good thing I decided to put up my flimsy portable greenhouse on the weekend :) LOL.

Once you find out more information on perennials that will grow in your zone...would love to hear about them. Please continue to add to your post here. It might give us all some good ideas.

Thanks....Heather

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

Hi nman,

I'm Rob from The Pas.
    I have been to Thompson a number of times years ago when I had relatives there. I can't say when your last frost free day would be, someone from there would have to help you with that one, but I do remember that they had more than just annuals there.
    I remember seeing Asiatic lilies and peonies. I think some of the hardiest shrub roses like Hansa would make it.
    I'm sure there are some gardeners up there who would be more than willing to help you out.

I do envy people living in the southern zones too, it isn't fair they get to grow so many more beautiful plants than we do, but at least we really appreciate our short summers more and we do have the great outdoors and unspoiled nature at our doorsteps. (Yup yup yup, gotta keep telling myself that!) Oh, did I just say that outloud? ;-)

I think you'll find alot of help here from some very experienced gardeners (Sharon for one), who have alot of great ideas to create microclimates for your plants and extend your zone alittle.

Great to meet you and I'm sure the snow will melt soon!
    Rob

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi nman, don't despair, all of us here are not too far away from zone 0, take a gander over at the FN Gallery forum, you'll find lots of photos of perennials that we can grow ;)

Hardiness ratings are a general guide rather than a absolute rule, zone rates are particularly based on trees and shrubs, therefore perennials may survive in that extra zone if good conditions are applied.

Microclimate is excellent advice from Rob. Providing shelter from high winds will greatly help. Protected areas such as the south side of the house is an excellent garden bed for those border line plants.

Research the plant and its needs, location, soil, water and nutrients.
    Planting perennials early spring rather than fall, this will give the plant all season long to get established before winter sets in.
    Mulch, mulch, mulch.
    Protecting newly planted perennials for their first winter.
    Lots of snow in the winter is your best protection!

Check out your local nurseries and see what they sell.
    Take a look around the neighbourhood and see what they can grow.

The only way youÂll know is donÂt be afraid to try it. Most of us here are always pushing the envelope ;)
    Some make it and some donÂt, thatÂs the challenge of gardening in the north ;)

Oh yes, I know a man that lives in NWT, he can grow the best Lilies in the world!

Sharon

• don555
    15 years ago

Zone 0b?.... I think you can grow some good lichens. Oh, and liverworts might do okay too. Ha, ha, ...I'm just teasing!

I think you will find that you can grow more than you think. Short summers, yes, but the long daylight hours make up for much of that.

• don555
    15 years ago

According to Vesey's Seeds climate info for Canadian sites, the average date of the last spring frost in Thompson is June 15, and the first fall frost is August 16. Crap, maybe you are limited to lichens and liverworts! :(
    -Don

• nman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the house I moved to might have some nice plants. Looks like the previous owner took care of their yard. Well I did move in the winter so I don't know what plants are in the yard. I see Rubus arcticus (raspberries). I am going to try and plant some vegetables. I don't think I can wait until June 15 to plant. The 0b zone comes from the latest Canadian zone map. Well I guess I'll be watching the weather really closely.

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi nman :)
    So nice to see another super cold zoner!
    I wanted to back up the advice about not knowing til you try...I've been so pleasantly surprised with what I can grow here in 1b thanks to the encouragement (and the photo gallery) on this forum. I'm pretty comfortable pushing to zone 3 and I try zone 4 plants sometimes, but they take a little extra care.

Just pay attention to the details like Sharon said (mulch, microclimates, happy soil, etc.). I find the wind and shade keeps things too cool for most plants to really thrive, but hey we don't have to budget for shade cloth either! And good snow cover works miracles!

I start planting my veggies (seed) by May long weekend and sometimes the week before depending on how the spring is going. I had my peas in on May 12th last year and they did fine. I'm trying to pay more attention to the frost hardiness and germination rates of different plants to get them sown as early as possible.

I wait until June to start planting any bedding plants.

I started using the fabric row covers last year and was very happy with them...they really captured the warmth from the sun, let the rain through and kept the bugs out. There was a definate difference in growth between what was under the covers and what wasn't.

I think its such a sweet satisfaction to grow in a cold zone because it's more of a challenge. Every bloom means so much!

Now where is hunnerbun when you need her?

• vrie
    15 years ago

Wow and I thought my 3-4 area here made me envious of my inlaws in Arkansas at zone 7! BRRR!! I think I'd cry if I moved much further north--- although there are some cool zone plants I can't grow because of a LACK of snow cover! think of it that way- you will not lack for snow cover!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Nman, there's a zoo in Thompson with great plantings. If you check with them, you'll find a lot of information about what will grow there, and you'll be surprised. A friend of mine worked there and i've seen pictures. She had a beautiful yard as well with lots of plants, perennials as well as annuals. You'll find that your longer days compensate for the shorter growing season.

She moved to BC a couple of years ago - zone 7. And she's finding it a challenge! LOL

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

I've had great success this winter with stuffing plastic bags with shredded newspaper for my roses. No canker. Green growth about 1 1/2 feet on roses us to zone 5. I just stuff the bags under the bottom canes. The thorns keep the bags in place. I'm very happy with the results. I also plant the grafts deep (6 inches).

I think I would cry too - zone 0!!!! Poor you. BUT ... I'm sure you'll make the most of it!! You can do it!! We're Canadian; and we're tough!!!

:) Carol

• cmmwiebe
    15 years ago

This is an encouraging blog to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a Garden Blog

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for that, cmmwiebe :) I see some perennials in there I've started this year and wasn't sure about and some I've been thinking of trying. Awsome! I think she must have some great microclimates going on in her yard though, eh? Goes to show the excellent effect it can have on what you can grow.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

cmmwiebe, you've got a nice place there in the north! Love your house and your dog!

Sharon

• cmmwiebe
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon!
    That is an internet garden friends place near Laronge Sask. We are just out of Saskatoon and we don't get the same weather although this year it is proving to be a challenge.
    I think our greater problem is drought most years. We don't have easy access to water so things die.
    Here is a link to some pictures on GardenBuddies Clematis forum - http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4298/111153726.html
    New pictures coming soon on my own blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is my blog

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz