Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red, Yellow, Black raspberries

Posted by weeper (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 23:05

There is an older fellow in my church who is moving into town off his farm and wanted to give away a bunch of his raspberries. They are just sprouting right now, so I went and dug a bunch up.

He didn't know what the varieties are, but I'm guessing Boyne for the red ones, because of how common they are and the ones I got fruit on second year wood, like Boyne. He also gave me a few canes that had been given to him of a thornless red raspberry. Not sure what that would be, I haven't looked into it yet. I have no idea what variety the yellow type will be. I thought they were only borderline hardy in 2b, but he said he has had no trouble with them and he never covers them. Then I got one black raspberry shrub which I also have no idea what variety it is...I think he said it has thorns like razors on it though.

I hope they all survive! I'm excited, this is the first fruiting plants I've planted in our yard; up until now it has just been flowers!

Too bad I'll have to wait until next year for fruit for the red and yellow berries(I just got suckers, no older canes)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red, Yellow, Black raspberries

Weeper, my guesses are:

Red thornless ... Viking

Yellow .... Honey Queen

Black raspberry with NASTY thorns, unique flavored ... Wyoming black raspberry

o

How awesome for you, all those raspberries.

Be sure to plant peas and lettuce, too. That way when you go outside in the early morning you can have fresh breakfast while you pull weeds out of your flower beds, LOL =:)

It's a great way to start your day.

o

The yellow one could be Fall Gold. I bought mine thru McFaydens in 1998. When you talk to him find out if he remembers ordering raspberries from McFaydens.

Brenda

o

Brenda, I think all the raspberries he had were given to him at one point by someone else. Raspberries are an excellent sharing fruit. :D

Not that it matters all that much, I'll find out soon enough what their growth habits are like..but I'm just the type of person who likes to know exactly what I have!

(by the way..it has been quite some time since I was in here!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here