Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Pine, grow them for seeds to eat!

Konrad___far_north
10 years ago

This have been on my mind for several years now but never got around getting any.

These two, [below] would be good to grow in our climate, if you grow any and have plants or seeds I'd be interested!

Korean Pine,..Pinus koraiensis
The hardy fruit tree nursery in Quebec has some little plants.
Rhora has them too.

Also, Swiss Stone Pine, Pinus cembra
Seen in Garden Center last year, too luscious, probalby from BC and would have a hard time to adapt! Very expensive!

They're also very nice ornamental trees.

Any local growers?

Comments (6)

• wayne
    10 years ago

I planted 2 Swiss Stone pine that I got in Brandon that came from Bylands a couple years ago, they had already grown a few inches. After about a month or so they grew a bit more, they never had a problem with the last 2 winters but my neighbours horse chewed off a bunch of tips, deer are also supposed to be a problem. I have purchased some hickory, hazelburt and a black walnut from Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery 2 falls ago, all are doing well so far. I would also like to try Korean Pine but at least 1 or 2 foot tall.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Wayne!
    I see you're just new here, ..welcome! What area you're in?
    When I asked the hardy nursery if they have taller then 6 inch Korean Pine, they said,...We do not have taller Korean Pine as they stay this size for the first 5 years.

Hard to believe!
    They might have problems with their soil...when I said that they should grow Evans Cherries, said they do, all theirs have a disease and can't grow them, don't know whats going on.

I have bought several plants with soil last year,..hopefully I'm not infecting mine!

On the other hand, Rhora's Nut Farm website says,..
    Korean Pine - (Pinus koraiensis)
    Zone 2 - 9

A tall growing tree, reaching a height of 100 ft. plus. Needles are on the average of 8â in length with a light tinge colouring of bluish green, thus presenting a very ornamental appearance. Production starts at 7 - 8 years of age on the average
    Prefers sandy to sandy loam soil with adequate drainage.
    Needs inoculant

I'm guessing,..they make a secret root booster and call it inoculant.

Perhaps it's really what they claim,..can someone enlighten me
    on this please?

It seems to work,...was reading that someone used it and thinks it made a difference.

• wayne
    10 years ago

Thanks Konrad, I live in the Qu' Appelle valley on the east side of Sask. I use a product called Myke ,mycorrhizae fungus, which helps the plants take up nutrients from the soil. I am growing plants on mostly grassland, I think that if there had been trees and shrubs before it would already be in the soil. There is supposed to be different types of fungus for different plants. One site suggested taking soil from under an old pine tree and mixing it in. I think Rhora's has hybrids and they have been at it for many years.

• don555
    10 years ago

I didn't know Swiss Stone Pine had edible seeds. I wish I had planted some when I moved into our home almost 25 years ago, not so much for the seeds, more for how wonderful these pines look when mature. I have this pic of a Swiss Stone Pine I took at the U of Alberta in 1994... haven't been back since then to see how this tree is doing, maybe something to plan for this summer.
    {{gwi:743300}}

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    Wayne,..I was thinking something along this line,..I would grow them near others. It's like some mushrooms only grow where evergreens grow.

Don,..great find!
    You might want to check it out and get some seeds! If the squirrels haven't got them all by now, [fear the worst was a hard winter]..fall would be best.

• Collin001
    9 years ago

Way to go Konrad. Pine trees were in my long term plan given the right property. With the right innoculents and care the plan was to get them fruiting within 10-12 years and form the back bone of a windbreak. Don't be afraid to try different varieties.

As most pines with the exception of Swiss Stone prefer looser soils I'm curious if Whitebark and Armand Pine would survive in heavier soils. Experiment! Best of luck.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH