Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypoppy

Rose ID, please!

pricklypoppy
11 years ago

We moved into this house couple years ago. In the back yard there is one hardy rose. Last year it was in full bloom from late June to July with 100+ of yellow blossoms. Could any one tell me which rose it is?

Thanks

Comments (14)

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

You'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to check in, but my guess would be either Persian yellow rose or Harison's Yellow rose. Both grow quite tall, can be smothered with blooms, and have smallish leaves and gangly growth.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Weeper, those two occurred to me just now when i looked at it. I'm no expert either, but have heard them mentioned and seen pictures. Gil had a Harison's, i think. Whatever it is, i love it! My only yellow rose is Topaz Jewel and that has been really iffy.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

My first guess too. Harrison's Yellow,aka Yellow Rose of Texas, Persian Yellow, Oragon Trail Rose, Yellow Briar Rose........It is a very common old shrub rose. My neighbour has one that is about 50 years old and still blooms her heart out. :)

Ginny

• bluegoat_gw
    11 years ago

It looks like a double.

Persian Yellow is a Rosa foetida and doesn't have a sweet rose fragrance.

If it has black hips, then it's Hazeldean.

The only other hardy double yellow is Harison's Yellow. I have never grown that one so I cannot suggest characteristics.

Are there any other hardy double yellow roses?

• pricklypoppy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!
    The flowers do have a sweet rose fragrance and the blossom is semi- or double (definitely not single). The rose hip is purple (or black) in color.
    I built a new trellis and moved the rose over last Fall. It comes up this spring already, so the transplanting was a success.
    Pictures from last Fall:

• bluegoat_gw
    11 years ago

It's Hazeldean and it's the first rose to bloom in our garden. It also suckers, so once it's established, you will have lots to share with your friends. This rose is very seldom offered for sale.

Developed by Percy Wright near Saskatoon.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Hey, great catch bluegoat, can't believe I forgot about Hazeldean - I have a cross of it - "Prairie Peace"(Beauty of Leafland x Hazeldean) by Robert Erskine, she is a beauty too.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I did have Harison's Yellow and it did look superficially like that but the scent was citrusy-rose and the hips were dark red. The new owners removed it. Losers.

• mytime
    11 years ago

"Are there any other hardy double yellow roses?"

Yes, several. Of course I don't remember their names; Kilwinning is the one I have.

• bluegoat_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info. The Kilwinning looks more double than Hazeldean. If the parentage is the same with R. spinosissima then the rose hips should be black in Kilwinning and Yellow Altai. The Yellow Altai entry at HelpMe Find shows what may be an immature hip, a dark red. The Yellow Altai is a single yellow.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.97255

It was Percy Wright who was the advocate of planting tender roses at a slant with the bud union buried as deeply as possible. This allowed for adventitious roots to develop so the plant would survive after the bud union failed. In Calgary, Don Heimbecker was a convert to planting on the slant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kilwinning

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Another hardy yellow is 'Agnes', a rugosa. It's not that though, I have Agnes and it's a buttery yellow and has typical rugosa leaves. And prickly as #$^*&.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Agnes is a beauty..where did you get it, northspruce?

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post, I just remembered another hardy yellow rose - J.P. Connell. That is another light yellow double. (explorer rose)

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I think I got Agnes from Pickerings during the brief period that they were offering own-root roses. I guess that wasn't profitable because it looks like they're back to all grafted the past couple of years. I'm not 100% sure that Agnes wasn't grafted though.