Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple

Posted by kayakcraig 2b (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:09

Hi anyone have any information on the Northern Arrow Treasured columnar apple! Have a chance to get one locally, but can't find any info other then it was bred at the U of Sask. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple

Then you can't go wrong, ..must be new and perhaps from Russia, they've breeding for much longer, good for small space.
Myself, I don't want columnar because of the short live span.

o

poor lifespan, poor fruit production,
might be beneficial as an ornamental

get a regular apple and train as a single cordon,
if you are concerned with space

o

Here a Russian video...

Here is a link that might be useful: Columnar Apple

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:53

Bought one this spring from T&T. I am curious if it will mature at the 15 feet tall and 4 feet wide that they state. I guess it sort of makes sense that a tree that doesn't grow very big will probably not get loads of apples, but hopefully a few here and there for fresh eating. At my old house I just bought 'dwarf' trees (Gemini and Sept Ruby) and they performed fairly well. The nice thing about those was they started producing fruit within a few years. I am not sure about how long the treasuRED will take, but currently it's just a 18 inch grafted stick. They shipped it in a 8 inch or so wide pot.
-Glenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here