Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artemisia Oriental Limelight

Posted by jammc Three (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 0:17

Out shopping the other day, this plant caught my eye, and came home with me! Before planting it, I did a computer search--I found out it was quite invasive. All the information I could find was for warmer zones, so I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this artemisia? If you do--how tall does it get, is it very invasive, how does it spread? (rhizones or seedlings) If it is quite invasive, how do you keep it contained?
Thank-you for any information you might have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artemisia Oriental Limelight

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 0:29

I planted a few 3 or 4 years ago in heavy clay soil and mostly sun exposure. It did travel some, but not by leaps and bounds and this spring I removed it without any trouble (turned that bed into a daylily patch). It spreads by rhizomes, and the first year it behaves well - you almost think there's no problem with the plant. It's the 2nd and subsequent years emergence where you see where the plant has travelled. I suspect if it's planted in loose rich soil, it will travel far and fast. It got to about 3' tall for me. Mine was in an area where it couldn't travel outside its boundaries so I never tried to contain it but I suspect planting it in a sunken 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out would be sufficient to keep it in bounds.

o

I was just asking about this plant the other day on the "What was in your shopping cart today" thread. Pudge's response is pretty much the advice I got, too. I never thought about doing it in a five gallon pail, though, Pudge. Thanks

Shauna

o

I did the very same thing!! I bought a beautiful variegated one, found the posts here about it, and it went in its very own pot.

o

I had mine for 2 years, and this year I don't see any signs of it, go figure, we had such a mild winter and all plants that didn't make it, was this one????

Sharon

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 19:51

I found they didn't pop out of the ground too early, Sharon. I'd wait on it if I were you.

o

Ok Pudge, I'll wait a bit longer ;)

Any one growing Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizho', now that is one that I would buy in an instant if I could find it ;)

Sharon

o

I have a couple questions about this plant also...picked up a couple at the store the other day and there were no tags other than the name. I loved the foliage but know nothing else about this type of plant. What is "artemisia"? Is it going to flower? If so, when and what color? Is it planted just as an accent? Is it related to the lily family? How tall does it get?
Thanks for any help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here