Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hykue

Hardiness update on daylilies and iris?

So, I'm planning to order a few daylilies and irises for this fall. I mostly picked ones that had pictures of the flowers in the gallery on this forum, in the hopes that they were (therefore) hardy, but I just wanted to double-check their hardiness. My planned purchases are:

Daylilies:

Siloam David Kirchoff

Alpine Mist

Mae Graham

Chorus Line

Summer Wine

Celestial City

Dancing Shiva (I read in the "What didn't make it" post that someone lost this - this is what prompted me to start this thread.)

Indian Giver

Winsome Lady

Prairie Blue Eyes

Ice Carnival

Trahlyta

Beautiful Edgings

Lake Norman Spider

Orchid Corsage

Pasture of Pleasure

Blueberry Breakfast

Irises:

Grandma's Hat

Royal Bee

Alpine Lake

Cherry Garden

Can't Wait

Alene's Other Love

Bantam Prince

Awake

Summoned Spirit

Forever Violet

Jewel Baby

Pumpin Iron

Blueberry Tart

Bangles

Cranapple

Domaine

Superstition

Garden Bride

Breakers

Autumn Circus

Boogie Woogie

Chasing Rainbows

Wow. When I list them like that, it's clear that I'm completely insane, and planning to spend way too much money on these. Anyway, if anyone has any info about some non-hardy ones, or can tell me with certainty that some of these are especially hardy, that would be great. Also, if anyone happens to have WAY too many of some of these, and wanted to trade me for something (I have almost exclusively seeds), that would be fantastic.

Comments (10)

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Well, the only one I can comment on is Forever Violet. This one is VERY hardy and will increase quickly. I also have Orchid Corsage, but I only planted it this spring.

Hope you enjoy digging! That is quite a load!

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I realize I'm in a warmer zone than you but I thought I'd let you know about mine. I have Indian Giver daylily, second year and it is doing well but growing slowly. From your list of irises I ordered (from Chapmans) Forever Violet - finished flowering for this year, Garden Bride and Breakers - both just now in bud. Before I ordered from Chapmans I emailed him about some others and he told me he didn't consider them hardy up here. Why don't you email the nursery you are going to order from and ask them? I'm sure they will tell you. Marg

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Of your list, I have
    Siloam David Kirchoff (a favourite - slow to get going for me but it's a nice clump now)
    Summer Wine (Hardy and increases well, I lost it somehow when I moved - I mean I physically lost it)
    Dancing Shiva (It was me - I don't know what happened, it was fine for 2-3 years then all rotted this past winter)

Irises:
    Bantam Prince
    Summoned Spirit - increases well
    Garden Bride
    Autumn Circus (re: Garden Bride & Autumn Circus - some of my TBs got mixed up when I moved and some haven't bloomed for a few years but are still alive - so these might or might not have made it. Autumn Circus bloomed before the move and it's really nice)

I know you didn't ask but if I were to recommend an iris from Chapmans, I've been really happy with Mystic Smile. It's the one that really pops visually in the garden.

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all. Katie - I do like digging. And my husband is wonderful and helps me dig as well. Marric - that is a good suggestion, and I will take it. Gillian - thank you for the info, and thanks for the suggestion as well - it even fits with the part of the color scheme that I'm working on right now. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on offer at any of the places I was considering ordering from. I'll put it on my wish list!

In case anyone was wondering: no, I don't actually remember people's names, I cheat and look them up in the roll call when I need them. It helps me to cement who's who of the people that are currently posting.

I actually need to thin out my to-buy list, it's really too big, and I'm going to spend most of next year's budget as well as this year's. But it can't hurt to ask . . .

Does anybody have any other suggestions for blue, purple, or pink (of the non-orangey kind) irises and daylilies that perform well for them?

And then, to make things easier for next budget . . .
    Who has suggestions for white, brown (not too reddish), and green flowers that can take the dry? Preferably perennials, especially irises and daylilies, but I'm also planning on putting in Chocolate Soldier Columbine, Green Envy Zinnias, Green Wizard Rudbeckia, and Green Jewel Echinacea. And so far I like the looks of Persian Wood, Green Gizmo, and Thornbird iris, and maybe Gone Native Daylily, although it might be too orangey.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Not sure where to start...My best pink daylilies are Ruth Webster (bubblegum pink, quilted petals) and Fuchsia Dream (tall, bold purple-pink). I have a good mauve daylily called Gillian (hah!) with dark purple eye and edges. Another iris I really notice in the garden is 'Low Life' which is burgundy with a white blaze. 'Eramosa Blushing Bride' iris was nice but wasn't planted in a good spot and died its second winter.

I'm partial to my white iris 'Scout', which is scented and has nifty horns on the beards. I also have a really cool TB called Classic Suede which is orange-brown. I've never gone for greens and browns so I can't be much use there.

I don't want to turn this into all about me but I can post photos of any of these if you ask.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I know this isn't pure blue but I love it. 'Acoma'
    {{gwi:743864}}

I lost the tag for this one but I think it's Persian Shrine.
    {{gwi:658264}}

Stepping Out iris
    {{gwi:743866}}

Cardinal Iris has a strong grape cool aid smell
    {{gwi:743869}}

Gypsy Romance iris
    {{gwi:743871}}

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Ok some pics,

Gillian

Ruth Webster

which is actually quite similar to
    Dancing Shiva

This is Fuchsia Dream - it's very big and tall.

Eramosa Blushing Bride

I think my BBQ is on fire so I'll leave it there.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ruth Webster and Fuschia Dream were both already on my wishlist, but if I ordered Ruth, I would have to make a whole new order from one of the companies that has less of my desired daylilies. Fuschia Dream is just expensive (ok, for me, which is to say, $14), but it sounds like it might be worth the extra cash after all (I like huge). I will add Gillian and Eramosa Blushing Bride to my wish list and see if I can get them from Floral and Hardy or Vivaces Nordiques. Ditto for Scout (Excellent white suggestion, thanks). Stepping Out is already on my wish list, but I will add Acoma (I like purple very nearly as much as blue), Cardinal, and Gypsy Romance. That Gypsy Romance is sure a rich, lovely color.

Thanks oodles! I have to ask - Gillian - was your barbecue ACTUALLY on fire? I don't think I would have had the presence of mind to sign off, if it had been mine . . .

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I don't know if you like spider types but Lilting Belle is really nice too. I didn't post this pic the first time because it's not particularly flattering:

And I am pleased to report that Scout is blooming with not just horns but full spoons this year!

Yes my chicken was on fire on the BBQ. We ate the other side of it. DH is used to inedible food during gardening season.

Original Author
    13 years ago

My tastes are pretty broad, I like just about everything. I will add Lilting Belle to my wish list as well. (I have a friend who is beautiful, but not photogenic, so I try not to judge too harshly, and that photo is fine anyway.) Congratulations on the spoons on Scout, it's a very attractive iris.

You know, I think I just figured out why my husband volunteers to cook so much more in the spring than any other time . . . when he's here, anyway. At least one side was edible!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths