Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Pine tree question - help!

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 0:54

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you can help me with my question regarding the Mountain Pine tree that I planted last summer.

It's about 6 feet tall and it looked very healthy with deep green needles when I bought and planted it. It did fine during summer. However, during fall, some of the needles turned brown and dropped. I was told that it was natural for trees like this to do so.

Now that it's spring, I have noticed that the needles on the whole are still a lighter shade of green than before. Then I have also noticed a few lower branches that have pale, greyish green needles, rather than the healthy deep green colour,.

Is this normal for the pine needles to be a lighter shade of green over winter? What about those few lower branches with entirely greyish green needles? Is there something wrong with the tree please?

I have never planted any evergreen tree so I would appreciate your advice! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Pine tree question - help!

It's common for needles get a lighter shade in winter, I find a newly planted evergreen is normally a bit in stress the first two years also and that doesn't help the situation.
What might can help,..see if you can get some water soluble high acid fertilizer and spray the whole tree with a watering can one's a week for about 6 weeks in the growing season.

I have experimented with miracid from miracle grow, not sure if still available, when I grew thousands of spruce trees from seeds and other evergreens, nothing could kill them, even when about 3 times the strengths used,..the more the merrier it seemed, they just loved it.

All evergreens love high acid fertilizer, our ground is normally high in alkaline. I only given them the first 3 years or so when planted, after that they do fine without.

o
RE: Mountain Pine tree question - help!

Hi konrad, thank you so much for your help! This is very reassuring indeed. I will go and find some acidic fertilizer now. Hopefully that will help! Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here