Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campfire rose?

Posted by TanlineTracey 2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 1:34

So I bought two campfire roses this year, not exactly sure on where I'm going to plant them yet. Wondering what luck others have had with these? One has a couple blooms now and is stunning!!! Hopeing it's going to repeat bloom for me. Emily Carr has never repeated in the past 4 years I've had her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campfire rose?

I planted Campfire last summer. She made it through the winter, I think. Teeny weeny little rose but so far tough. Beautiful blooms last year. :)

Ginny

o

I also planted one that was in a 2 gallon pot and it bloomed like crazy. The original plant shape was quite fine textured but after a month of rainy weather it pushed out much larger vigorous growth, neighbours horse gave it, double knockout and morden sunrise a prune job over winter so I can't say how much die back there would have been. So far only Morden Sunrise hasn't started to grow.

o

I was also going to mention that the blooms lasted a long time and they fade to red, some to white, I think it is a great rose. Time will tell how it makes out in the years to come. Morden Sunrise is in top right and Double Knockout bottom right.

o

wayne61 ... okay, your photo and comments are to blame for me looking to add yet another rose to my yard :)

Terrance

o

Nice photo!! I planted a one gallon specimen this year and anxiously await for it to look like that!!

SCG

o

Wayne, she is beautiful! My little girl bloomed as well but not quite so many blooms!

Terry, yes, you must add her to your beautiful garden. Her colors are amazing! :) You won't be disappointed!

Ginny

o

Oh my goodness, wayne61, what a lovely and cheerful little rose bush this is!!! Thanks for the great photo!

Now, I know what I need to get this weekend!!! :-) First it's Hansa now I need to add Campfire to the list too! :-)

BTW, wayne61, you have a Double Knock Out and you are in zone 2/3!? It survived the winter!? When I used to live in zone 5 (that was decidedly tropical comparing to my zone 3 here now! LOL) I had some HUGE Double Knock Out bushes. It was absolutely amazing. Then after moving here, I saw the nurseries and big box stores starting to sell KO roses and I was wondering why.... so I would love to hear more about your experience of this rose in the zone 2/3 climate! Thanks in advance.

o

Most of the roses that I have planted were put in last year, my mother and oldest sister being the contributors of some. Those three roses are about 50ft. on the north side of the building in a windy spot but were covered by a couple feet of snow. The temperature dropped into the low -20's in late November a couple of nights at least with little snow cover then. I had mixed in a lot of spruce needles, cones and other material when they were planted but had not actually mulched them. Besides the horse pruning them the voles totally chewed most of the bark off the crowns of it and the Morden Sunrise. This spring after hearing mom remind me that I should bury the crowns, I covered them all with more soil and mulched them. D.K. is pushing up new growth after all that. It bloomed constantly last year and had grown new stems also and only a bit of powdery mildew. I need to start using mouse poison.

o

wayne61, that photo of yours is responsible for me now having purchased 'Campfire' ... I think I'll plant it right out front :)

o

Hehe, twrosz. My first bloom on campfire came yesterday and I promptly cut it and brought it in. It is quite beautiful at a distance it looks like a few others have opened!!

I definitely planted it way too far from my walkway.....might have to get another... LOL

SCG

o

My plant is slowly coming along, same with the D.K. in the same spot, no buds yet. I planted 3 john cabot on the south side of the building by a down spout and fertilized them well, they are 2.5ft. tall and setting buds mostly all new growth. They will have to get a lot more ridged if they are going to go up the ladder that I made.

o

The other day I was admiring campfire and took some pics.

o

That just makes a person smile!!!

o

Ooooooh! Lovely rose pic!! :) :)

o

Tanline Tracey, that is absolutely stunning! I may just have to find myself some excuse to find some space for yet another rose (even though 2 "hardy" ones died on me this past winter).... LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here