Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting out Tomatoes?

Posted by natalie403 3 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 1:36

Hope everyone is enjoying the amazing weather in Calgary lately. The forecast for next week is 20C+ with night time temperature around 10C. Just want to see anyone in the area will be planting out their tomatoes early. Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting out Tomatoes?

I might gamble a couple of plants this week. But have a blanket ready in case weather changes quickly. Last year I put some out June 1 and on June 6 they were zapped by frost. It keeps Calgary gardeners on our toes!

o

I'm going to plant a couple out in wall'o'waters, but even though our weather is amazing i'm not sure if i'd risk planting them "naked" right now. :)

o

I put mine out a week ago in Saskatoon. Peppers too. It's much more convenient to stagger my plantings rather than plant everything on one weekend. Go for it but keep some Agribon or other row cover handy if there's a frost later. For the rest of the season, a severe frost is extremely unlikely. Anyway, you live in Calgary, where frost and snow can occur in any month of the year :)
Last year was a record cold spring and summer. It's unlikely that it'll be THAT bad two years in a row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here