Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaura lindheimeri

Posted by luv2gro z3a AB (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 07 at 1:43

I noticed that a couple of you have this plant. I just picked one up today. Sharon, you must have yours in a pot because you overwinter it. Can you post a picture of yours, if you have one of it. Is it worth overwintering or should I consider it an annual?

Also, I originally thought that I would put it into a mixed container but after searching, it looks like it fills the pot all on its own, without company. How does everyone else use it in your garden?

Shauna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaura lindheimeri

I put a couple in pots, and have one to go in the ground.
This is the first year I have grown it. There are different varieties. The ones I bought are the smaller variety. I can't remember the name off hand right now. I'm hoping that I'll get some seeds to try sowing with for next year.

Shelley

o

Mine is called 'Pink Fountain' and it grows 2' - 3'. The greenhouse had it marked as a height feature plant for containers, and I took that to mean the centre plant of a combination pot.

I've searched it and seen it in a couple of combination pots, where it looks kind of non-descript. But, I'm wondering if it would look a bit boring in a pot by itself. Might be one that we just have to experiment a bit with.

Shauna

o

Hi Shauna, no it didn't survive that spring. It did survive the overwintering in the pumphouse but I brought it up too early and it died shortly after that.

If I ever try this plant again, I'll overwinter it in the house in the cool room downstairs near a window and don't bring it out till May.

Sorry no photo, but I did have it by itself in a 12" pot, I think it would be too busy if you were to combine something at the bottom of it. JMO.

Take photos of yours thou ;)

Sharon

o

Oh no, I have mine in a mixed planter with petunias and osteospermum. Looks good now though.
Too late to move things around. I don't have anymore pots.
Mine is Ballerina Rose.

Shelley

o

I just picked up a couple of these at the garden center the other day. They had it in pots with a lot of other things. BUT the owner of the greenhouse was telling me that in her garden, she put it in front of her echinachea. Which sounds nice! She also told me it is an annual in zone 3.

Now I am wishing I had purchased some for that! I put mine in a hole in my perennial bed.

I might have to see if I can get some seed of this for next year!

Jenny P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here