Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry 2014 update...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 1:43

The other thread was getting too long.

Please post pictures when you see your first blooms, I like to see how long it takes for the blooms and ripening in the various cultivars, here we can compare them nicely!

As said before, mine out in the country,...perhaps a low zone 3, my Chester died completely down, year 3, [unprotected], the other plant right beside, Balsor's Black, same age, had two canes alive, these should produce fruits,..it's just now will they ripen before snow falls?

Got rid of the Chester, not totally,... shooting up from below, I made 4 babies and could go soon for adoption to the warm city!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry 2014 update...

In the city, my Chesters (year 6, covered every winter) came through better than in any other year. My garden is very muddy with all the rain recenly, but I'll try and get a pic soon. Results vary in the city... a friend also growing Chester says his winter survival was not good...haven't seen those canes myself so just going with what he says.

Interesting that Balsor's did better for you, Konrad. Rated as zone 4 (whereas Chester is what?.. zone 6?), maybe it really is a hardier option. It will be interesting to see how well it fruits for you later this summer.

o

Konrad, good to know that you're trying 'Balsor's Black', I might have to order some for next spring.

o

Chester on May 27. Green trellis pole sticks 4' out of ground, so if canes were raised vertical it looks like about 2 metres of canes survived, normally only about 1 m of cane survives. Smaller plant in the lower left is a sucker from last year (the only sucker this plant has produced).
 photo May2714Blackberry.jpg

o

Went to look today,..thought it was a flower,...bird poop lol.

o

First flower buds are appearing on Tayberries and Siskiyou blackberries. Bloom is probably 3 to 4 weeks away at least, though. That's a Tayberry bud in the picture above my thumb nail.

o

WX, are you in the US or Canada? Things like tayberries and boysenberries I've only ever seen in the US, but then again we have limited offerings to begin with in zone 3, so maybe they are available in the warmer zones in Canada...

o

About 3 years ago I traded with someone who had Tayberry growing somewhere an hour north, with one of my 5 year old plum tree. Turned out the berry was dead. I was also supposed to get seaberry,..but it was a little hawthorn sucker with a clump of crabgrass. The third thing was red raspberry,...it wasn't,
it was a black,..I liked this one.

My blackberry flower looks about the size of your Tayberry

Please post when flowers open on the Blackberry

o

This "new" little plant I'm testing, no name, [Russian] from last year has flowers already!

o

Balsor's Hardy Black from today.

o

Interesting! That's well ahead of my Chester blackberries. I had Boyne red raspberries get their first blossoms on June 21, Honeyqueen yellows get their first blossoms on June 22, but the blackberries are slower -- they have buds but no blossoms.

o

Don,
do you recall when the Chester flowered at the earliest?

Mine were small plants going into winter with good snow cover,
it remains to be seen when they grow larger, [bushier] and not all
covered with snow,..might need to train some canes close to the ground.

o

Here's a pic of Siskiyou (don't pronounce the second "i") trailing blackberry today. The flower had started to open 3 days ago, but we had cool, rainy weather and it didn't budge. Tayberry started flowering on the 24th. Looks like Wild Treasure (another trailing blackberry) will be opening tomorrow. For comparison, Don555, Boyne started flowering on the 23rd and Honey Queen on the 27th. Both raspberries will start ripening the first or second week of August. However, the blackberries probably won't be ripe until the third or fourth week of August. Don't know about the Tayberry.
I'm 20 miles outside of Fairbanks, AK, and 1000 ft up a ridge. This location is above most of the wintertime inversions, providing a zone 3a climate, compared to z2 or even z1 on the valley floor below me. I get my plants from sources in the Lower 48, so I can get most anything available in the US - if I want to pay the shipping, which can be as much as the plant itself.
I have 36 varieties of blackberries, 4 blackberry/raspberry crosses and about 25 varieties of raspberries. Here is a quick rundown of survival rates on the blackberries:

Erect: Illini Hardy = 100%, Stenulson = 90%, Ouachita = 90% (odd, since it is not very hardy)
Semi-erect: Chester & Triple Crown=10%, Hull (similar to Chester, but earlier) = 40%
Trailing varieties: Wild Treasure = 15%, Marionberry = 40% (more on this), Siskiyou = 30%, Silvan = 40%, Black Diamond = 90%; Tayberry = 20%, Loganberry (cross) = 90%

Chester, Triple Crown and Hull were severely attacked by voles. The figures represent survival of only those canes that were not eaten by voles. I accidentally ran an experiment last winter when I forgot to remove the floating row cover I put over a Marion plant to aid in ripening berries that it produced last summer. They never ripened and I forgot about the fabric covering the plant until the snow melted this year. The entire length of primocane that was under the floating row cover over the winter is alive and growing vigorously (what wasn't covered died). It has flower buds on it, as well. I believe that survival here is dependent on how cold the temperatures get before a significant snow cover accumulates (>6 inches, 15cm). After that, the plants are protected. We received 12 inches (30cm) of snow with the first real snow storm and right after the temp dropped to about 0F (-18C). This amount of snow covered all blackberry varieties listed above. Midwinter low was -24F (-31C) - not all that cold (Don555, we decided to send our cold your way).
No buds on Illini Hardy, Stenulson (I broke the good cane off of that one attempting to trellis it), Chester, etc. yet. In addition to Siskiyou, Wild Treasure and Marion, I have buds on Black Diamond, Silvan and a wild trailing blackberry.
Chester looks to be more vigorous this year, but probably still not as vigorous as some of the trailing varieties. It has not produced canes more than 2 ft (60 cm) long (first and second years). This may be because summers are so cool here.
Konrad, it will be interesting to see what the Russian variety tastes like. If it is pretty good, that one looks like a keeper. It will also be interesting to see how Balsor's and this variety do with less protection. I know the ones that will produce for me need some (with the possible exception of Black Diamond).

o

Last year I put in 3 "prime" cultivars from Stark Bros. nursery. Prime Jim, Jan, and Ark 45, I'd say I lost over 90% of last years canes during the winter. This years primocanes are now about 4 feet tall and most already have flower buds on them. I'm very surprised as my raspberry primocanes, some of which are 5 to 6 ft tall and came up earlier, probably won't be forming blossoms for another month. Pretty impressed with these blackberries, nice to get a good crop even after a historically bad winter (coldest since 1978).

o

Konrad asked... "Don, do you recall when the Chester flowered at the earliest? "
Going thru old garden notes....

in 2011 both Chesters began flowering around July 10.

In 2012 it was July 5 for first blossoms.

In 2013, seems I did not record the date of first blossoms.

In 2014, still at bud stage as of June 29....

o

July 3 - very first bloom on my Chester this year.

o

July 4 - Both plants blooming today, one with its first flower, the other has 5 now.

o

Thank you all!

wxjunkie...WOW 36 variates!
How long you've been experimenting with blackberries?

>>(with the possible exception of Black Diamond).<<
...it's a zone 6 to 9,...no protection?

So, throwing over some row cover could be a possible solution
for some winter protection, ..thanks for mentioning this!
I might try this out.

mhayes8655 .. primocanes was on my mind for several years,
still, I'm not convinced yet in any so far, [also raspberries] I love
tall plants for easy picking. Please let us know how
this ripening will turn out, [with date]...season is coming to a end!...lol...already? darn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here