Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patience @@##$ -- I planted stuff Tuesday

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Thu, May 28, 09 at 2:08

I got tired of waiting for good weather and started planting my warm weather plants. Zuchinni, tomatoes, morning glory, scarlet runners, hubbard and butternut squash are in raised beds or containers. Also, I transplanted eight currant (black and red) bushes. These were started from cuttings. Still more to plant; but, I feel better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patience @@##$ -- I planted stuff Tuesday

I wish you luck but I fear you will be doimg some covering. I don't know where you are but we always get a frost the first week of June. The seeds will probanly be ok but the plants--well.

o

I'm in Edmonton AB. Traditionally, the last frost occurs the week after the May 24 weekend. The five day forecast is favourable; the plants and beds were ready, so I went for it. We have good growing weather in May and I hate to waste it.

I do have some back-ups. :)

o

I'm in Edmontonn too and I have had my babies all out in the little mini greenhouses for over a week now. They are going in by the weekend. I think we are going to be OK. It has been very slow this year but it has happened before. My gut feeling is we are in for a very hot, dry summer. :#

Ginny

o

I got most of my tenders out too, still have the Coleus indoors, its been so damn windy to plant those yet.

Wish everybody luck and I do have a back up plan too (old bed sheets) ;)

Sharon

o

Did up all my plantings in the last couple days. Girl at the greenhouse was surprised I was just starting. Was at the nursery on Mothers Day and it was packed to the rafters, left with out the pond supplies I went for. I am expecting hot and dry summer also.

o

I planted some out last weekend :) Put them into my Maxi-kap planter.

The veggie garden tomatoes go in this weekend, along with beans.

My potatoes, lettuce and carrots are now poking up. The peas came up ages ago.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, May 28, 09 at 23:47

We had -1 this morning. I wont be planting out anytime soon. The crammed green house is getting harder and harder to water everything since foliage is over lapping on the pots etc. Every year we get a nasty frost a few days after I plant out. One morning last June I was out in the garden from 3 am to 6:30 washing the frost off the dahlias. I think it was worth it..at least that is what I remember feeling last year..haha..Jean

o

The garden is coming good, just now need to again do some watering. I had put the tomatoes out, I will place a makeshift greenhouse over them. The cucumbers were sown, though use a row tunnel, I think the ground is a bit cool and I fear they'll rot. I have not yet started planting out any other annuals, today there was quite a chill in the air and we're headed for yet more nippy nights ahead :(

Terry

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 16:02

Frost predicted for us tonight. And the rest of the week isn't looking too great, either. I have annuals (my cutting crop) planted out for quite a while now, but they're all in straight rows and raised beds and I have enough frost blanket to cover it all. I potted the tomatoes in 1 gallon containers, summer squash in 6" containers, and cucumbers in 4" cells and they're still in the greenhouse although the last few days I've started to harden them off. Not today, though - yet another miserable wind that makes this "2009 - the spring that wasn't".

o

I've got too much out to cover. Most of my backups are planted. Hoping the frost warnings are just that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here