Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljpother

Patience @@##$ -- I planted stuff Tuesday

ljpother
14 years ago

I got tired of waiting for good weather and started planting my warm weather plants. Zuchinni, tomatoes, morning glory, scarlet runners, hubbard and butternut squash are in raised beds or containers. Also, I transplanted eight currant (black and red) bushes. These were started from cuttings. Still more to plant; but, I feel better.

Comments (10)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I wish you luck but I fear you will be doimg some covering. I don't know where you are but we always get a frost the first week of June. The seeds will probanly be ok but the plants--well.

• ljpother
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Edmonton AB. Traditionally, the last frost occurs the week after the May 24 weekend. The five day forecast is favourable; the plants and beds were ready, so I went for it. We have good growing weather in May and I hate to waste it.

I do have some back-ups. :)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

I'm in Edmontonn too and I have had my babies all out in the little mini greenhouses for over a week now. They are going in by the weekend. I think we are going to be OK. It has been very slow this year but it has happened before. My gut feeling is we are in for a very hot, dry summer. :#

Ginny

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

I got most of my tenders out too, still have the Coleus indoors, its been so damn windy to plant those yet.

Wish everybody luck and I do have a back up plan too (old bed sheets) ;)

Sharon

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Did up all my plantings in the last couple days. Girl at the greenhouse was surprised I was just starting. Was at the nursery on Mothers Day and it was packed to the rafters, left with out the pond supplies I went for. I am expecting hot and dry summer also.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

I planted some out last weekend :) Put them into my Maxi-kap planter.

The veggie garden tomatoes go in this weekend, along with beans.

My potatoes, lettuce and carrots are now poking up. The peas came up ages ago.

• savona
    14 years ago

We had -1 this morning. I wont be planting out anytime soon. The crammed green house is getting harder and harder to water everything since foliage is over lapping on the pots etc. Every year we get a nasty frost a few days after I plant out. One morning last June I was out in the garden from 3 am to 6:30 washing the frost off the dahlias. I think it was worth it..at least that is what I remember feeling last year..haha..Jean

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

The garden is coming good, just now need to again do some watering. I had put the tomatoes out, I will place a makeshift greenhouse over them. The cucumbers were sown, though use a row tunnel, I think the ground is a bit cool and I fear they'll rot. I have not yet started planting out any other annuals, today there was quite a chill in the air and we're headed for yet more nippy nights ahead :(

Terry

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

Frost predicted for us tonight. And the rest of the week isn't looking too great, either. I have annuals (my cutting crop) planted out for quite a while now, but they're all in straight rows and raised beds and I have enough frost blanket to cover it all. I potted the tomatoes in 1 gallon containers, summer squash in 6" containers, and cucumbers in 4" cells and they're still in the greenhouse although the last few days I've started to harden them off. Not today, though - yet another miserable wind that makes this "2009 - the spring that wasn't".

• ljpother
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got too much out to cover. Most of my backups are planted. Hoping the frost warnings are just that.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County