Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes just slow, or was that a tough winter on them?

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 2:34

I have 3 Valiant grape vines that have been yielding 20 lbs or so of fruit for the past several years. With the deep snow this winter I thought this would have been one of the most gentle winters on them, but so far I see only a few buds swelling, all within a few inches of the ground (most of the vines are grown on a trellis and left on the trellis thru the winter, where at least half of the past season's growth normally survives the winter). I know grapes are always slow to get going in the spring, but my apple trees leafed out today so I thought I should be seeing much more action on the grapes by now. How did other people's grapes fare this winter, or is it too early to tell and I'm just being impatient?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes just slow, or was that a tough winter on them?

I should check...I know they're late as always for me, usally
after the apple.

o

i did not know you could grow grapes this far north..how tempting. must research. :)

o

The Valiant at the house looks good, new growth about 4 feet up, but I have one out of town and all died back to the ground, this with good snow cover...back to the drawing board...LOL
About 20 yards from this one I have some larger grapes, not sure what the are, they were given to me, the canes I lay down to the ground in the fall and did allot better.

Don, are your canes all dead?
It was sure a strange winter, with all that snow, one would think
plants should have done allot better.

o

I have 3 plants, all suffered die-back much worse than in any previous winter since I planted them. One died right back to within inches of the ground, despite the deep snow cover. The other two suffered a lot of die-back, but in the end they still have a decent cane framework, and the new growth has flower buds, so they should fruit this year, maybe just lighter than in the previous few years.

I would have thought this would be one of the best years for over-wintering Valiant grapes... not really sure what happened to make it otherwise. On the otherhand, the Chester Thornless blackberries that share the same trellis, made it through the winter with flying colours and are now threatening to out-hog the trellis...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here