Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Spring flowers before the snow

don555
13 years ago

Looks like 17 cm of wet snow has ended what was a nice spring flower show, so I'm posting some pics of glory gone.

May 1, Tulip Tarda, a species or wild crocus that more the size of crocus than modern hybrid tulips, but blooms early and seems to do fairly well on the prairies, coming back year after year. These ones were planted maybe 5 or more years ago. I don't have any big drifts of these though, just scattered clumps, so it's not like they are spreading like scilla do.

These daffodils are my spring treat. Originally planted in the fall of 1991, they haven't spread at all, but the original bulbs just keeps getting more shoots and putting up more and more flowers. So while in 1992 each planted bulb put up one or maybe two blooms, now they are putting up about 20 blooms each. Died out in some spots, but this patch in this spot has been a real winner. King alfred type.

I've since planted two more patches of yellow daffodils (fall 2008) which are doing well but are still getting 1-2 blooms per bulb, but they are dividing and putting up new shoots that hopefull will start blooming next year. Plus I put in a few new patches last fall of different varieties, here's one that was blooming before the snow. (A couple of other daffodil patches weren't into full bloom before the snow, and are probably lost for this spring).

And here's what Tuesday's snow did....

{{gwi:744451}}

Comments (5)