Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Your Best Clematis

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

If you could only pick 3 hardy Clematis, what would you recommend for best choice?

I'm thinking of buying 3 more to my already collection, but would like to hear what your favourites are?

Sharon

Comments (37)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Well, I really like 'Willy', but you already have that one!

'Abundance' really lives up to it's name.
    {{gwi:702926}}

close up

'Minuet' is only in it's third year, so I hope it'll be leaping this year.
    {{gwi:702925}}

Not the best picture of 'Duchess of Albany', but the flowers are very pretty. This one's also in it's third year, and seems to be coming up very vigorously now, even more than 'Minuet'.

I've also had Julia Correvan, that was very vigorous and bloomed spectacularly, but I had it planted in a bit of a low spot and one especially wet spring did it in. I could have cried! My mom has one too and I've been trying to get a piece rooted for two years, but no luck yet :(

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I only have one older clematis-Jackmanni. This one is over 6' this year already. This year I've purchased Blue Light, Allanah, Sealand Gem, and Ernest Markham. I have been looking for Abundance and Betty Corning for several years and haven't had any luck finding them.
    Regarding planting, I know the hybrids are supposed to be grown close to the foundation, but how far away has anyone planted them with success?
    Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I have 'Ville de Lyon' about 5 feet out from the foundation of the house so that it was supposed to come up and climb along the deck. It did well for the first 2 or 3 years, but in the last 2 or 3 years it's definitely declining in vigor. Last year it didn't come up until August, the previous year it was July, so I don't know if it'll come up at all this year. This is on the north side of the house. The reason why I planted it 5 feet out was so that it would get a good amount of sun (head in the sun, feet in the shade).

But, it's a different story on the south side of the house. I have John Paul II there about 4 feet from the foundation and he does well. I've had him for about 6 years there and right now he's up to about 5 feet tall. I love the huge flowers, but it blooms really late in the season (end of August, beginning of September), so if the grasshoppers don't get to the flower buds first, then the frost usually gets them :( This spring everything was so early, so I'm hoping that it'll flower a bit earlier too.

Btw, I picked up Abundance at a local nursery here in Brandon. It might be worth the trip for you ;^)

Laurie

• savona
    17 years ago

My best performer is my BlueBird (macrapetala) clematis..it is tough as nails
    I seem to have deleted all the pictures of it except this one in the corner of the picture..lol..
    {{gwi:744620}}
    ..I have a Polish sprit clematis that is planted at an arbor and all the protection it gets is some straw over its base in the winter..this will be the 4th summer for it (it is coming up nicely right now)
    polish sprit
    {{gwi:744622}}
    last year I rescued a Jackmani clematis from home depot..I planted it close to the foundation of the house and it is also growing great..I think I need to branch out to a white, red or pink clematis now..savona

• kat3
    17 years ago

Jackmanii Doesn't matter what type of season we have.. it produces... Covered in blooms all season..

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I just bought 'MultiBlue' two weeks ago and I haven't got it into the ground yet. I haven't decided where I want to put it yet. But, it has almost doubled in height since I got it and is filling out really nicely, too.
    However, again, I've found a bit of a zone pusher, I think. It seems to be rated as a zone 4. I'm tinkering with putting it in a southwest exposed corner of my veg. garden, up against a fence. But, I already have a new rhubarb plant put in there. What do you think that would look like? Rhubarb and Clematis?

Here's a website with quite a few pix:

Shauna

Here is a link that might be useful: Multi Blue

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

There's always room for another clematis, so, thanks to this thread, I'll be adding some names to my wish list. 'Abundance' will be at the top!

Here are my picks, Sharon:

C. integrifolia. This was my first integrifolia, and it must be a selected form. The flowers and leaves are larger and have better form than the regular one. It's been in my garden for many years, but it started declining last year. Only half the plant regrew from the ground. This spring, only a couple of shoots are growing. :-( It has self-seeded, but none of the seedlings have the same leaf form and size. I'll have to try cuttings. I really need to save this plant. I haven't found another one like it, yet.
    {{gwi:744626}}

'Durandii'--a very striking blue that goes well with 'Adelaide Hoodless' rose.
    {{gwi:744627}}

Etoile violette. Like 'Abundance', it's a viticella--hardier than the large flower clematis. It's got smaller blooms, but more of them, it seems. This colour is striking with 'William Baffin' rose.
    {{gwi:744628}}

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Wow everyone you are making me weak. LOL. They're all so beautiful! Doris, I just love the shade of blue on that integrifolia.

I got all enabled and went out and bought two clematises, a Nelly Moser (which I tried before but planted in full sun - it was the first of my clematis murders), and a Viticella "Royal Velours". The tag looks a rather like the Etoile Violette and the Abundance - I'm glad to see others are having success with this group because it was a shot in the dark. I liked the colour. Basically I walked up and picked the two most healthy and vigorous ones and then looked at the tag to see if I liked them. That's how I have got some really good roses in the past.

The cuttings I have rooted but not yet planted were from a mislabeled vine but I think they are the species C. alpina.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my, so many to choose from and so many beautiful photos! Thank you to all for your picks!

I do haveÂ
    C. integrifolia
    C. tangutica
    ÂJackmaniiÂ
    'Jackmanii Superbra'
    Some unknown purple which was supposed to be 'Ville de Lyon (posted in the Gallery if you can help me identify it? ;)
    2 Clematis alpina ÂWilly and lets say 'Helsingborg'.

Shauna is your rhubarb ornamental? If so, I think the two would look great together, the huge leaves would keep the base of the clematis moist and cool.

Cornhill Nursery in NB where I have ordered some of my own-root roses carries Clematis Mme. Julie Correvon, but they are working on adding climbers and other perennials to their online option - until then they say to please inquire about these items.

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know what I pick out when I go shopping on Thursday ;)

Gil, I love your style of shopping! LOL That's what I should do!

Check out the awesome Clematis photos at this link below, their database now contains over 3040 clematis varieties...

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

No, Sharon, it's not an ornamental rhubarb. It's a starter plant of 'German Wine' eating rhubarb. But, after thinking about it, I really do think this corner of my fence is the best place for it and I think it will dress up the rhubarb, and the rest of the veg. garden, anyway. On my to do list for planting tomorrow.

Thanks for that link, also. I found it last week and then couldn't find it again today when I went looking for the picture of mine for you. It really is a terrific website. Boggles my mind as much as the Chapman Iris website does. LOL No, I still haven't decided which irises I want.

Shauna

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

That is a great site for clematis. There are a lot of beautiful clematis in there.

So, if the clematis I bought has a tag that says Markhamii and this is what the flowers look like...

{{gwi:744629}}

and the site only has Markham's Pink. Then...I assume that my tag is labelled wrong and I have Markham's Pink. Is that what you all would agree with?

Brenda

• kuzariprincess
    17 years ago

What a great thread!

I've killed many more clematis than I've grown. Only two survived and both are three years old.

My Hagley Hybrid didn't die back to the ground this year! It faces east and gets a few hours of morning sun.

I don't remember what the other one is but its pale blue. I planted it under a Juniper hoping it would grow up the branches. It never grows much and has only given me two flowers each year.

I want to try Abundance now that I've seen yours, its wonderful.

kuzari princess
    The other

• leo_prairie_view
    17 years ago

For us Huldine is an outstanding performer. We have it growing with Jackmani and they make a beautiful combination. The only problem is keeping them restrained. We live in a two family house and last summer they almost blocked our neighbours window so we are nipping out shoots early this year.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, very nice Clematis you have there! According to the site below, Markham's Pink & Markhamii are the same thing.

aka
    C. macropetala 'Markham's Pink'
    C. 'Markham's Pink'
    macropetala 'Markham's Pink'
    Markham's Pink

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: C. macropetala var. markhamii

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Leo, I looked up Huldine at the Clematis on the Web site and is that one ever nice too!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a good website explaining hardy clematis for our zone.

Anyone grow Clematis Pamela?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Manitoba Clematis

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Wow...I had a hard time logging in here this morning.

Anyway I would have to say that my favorite clematis is ...well besides all of them...what ever will grow in my yard(zone) and I am finding there seem to be quite a few. I hope this isn't just because of the milder winter we had, but so far I have had 5 come back for me and hope to see more. The last 2 to pop up are my Tangutica, Bill MacKenzie, and Blekitny Aniol (Blue Angel)that is about 1/3 of what I put in, but I still have 3 sitting in pots here, Kermensina, and Alpina Willy, and an unknown that I started from seed last year and overwintered in the house ready to be put into the ground. That one looks to be on a quest for world domination, it is leaping out of its pot...it is leaning against my portable greenhouse outside and it is almost taller then it. I was worried about moving it outside since it spent the winter in the house...well nothing to worry about there its loving it out there. I think I will plant this on the opposite side of the ugly spruce out back, Bill MacKenzie is on one side and this one seems to be very vigorous, so it should climb up and hide the ugly tree well.
    I just don't know where to put the other 2. Oh well...I am sure I'll find spots for them!

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I went out today and did some excavating and 3 of mine have just disappeared as if they had never been planted and 6 of them were still viable roots, but just sitting there doing nothing, so I moved them into a holding area where the soil is a little less heavy. I think the combination of the wet summer we had last year along with the heavy clay soil we have played a part in the disappearance and the lack of growth. Even though I moved in a dumptruck load of soil, when I was digging, it was like the clay just moved itself up into the friable stuff because it was so nice and soft!

OK the up and going strong group:
    Blekitny Aniol
    Roguuchi
    Ville de Lyon
    Bill Mackenzie
    Etoille Violette

Kermensina and Alpine Willy were just planted today, both have been outside since I got them over a month ago. Kermensina had the biggest root system of any clematis I have ever seen. I know it supposedly is only hardy to zone 5 but the stalk coming out of the ground is about 1/2" in diameter. I also planted one that I grew from seed...I have no idea what it is, because the pot got dumped before they sprouted...but this thing is on a quest for world domination. I planted out back, opposite Bill Mackenzie on the ugly spruce....between the two of them they should cover it up in no time.

These I moved to the holding area...the roots were nice and firm, but no real signs of growth yet:
    Sympatia
    John Paul
    Nelly Moser
    Polish Spirit
    Pink Chiffon (Hagley Hybrid)
    Elsa Spaeth

These I didn't get dug yet, maybe tomorrow, but there are no real signs of life at all:
    The President (I have 2 of this one somehow...the other I dug, and it was sprouting way down so I put him back!)
    Jackmanii
    Henryii

MUltiblue, Bees Jubilee Veronica's Choice and the second President I also dug and were sprouting so they got put back as well.

The most baffling are the poof into thin air ones...
    Mme Julia Correvon
    Ramona
    Rouge Cardinal
    Violet Elizabeth.

(OK..so I cheated and copied a post I made on another Clematis forum...but it was too much to re type...is it still palgiarism(sp?) when you copy your own stuff...LOL)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wow Michele, sounds like they're doing really well for you. At least most of them that is! If you've got heavy clay soil with lots of moisture, I'm not surprised that there's no sign of Mme Julia Correvon. I had her growing for a couple of years, and she was really taking off, but one wet spring and nothing. Totally gone.
    Glad to hear that Roguuchi is doing so well. I'm still on the look out for it, but no luck yet.

Laurie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clematis Mme. Julia Correvon (Viticella) followed me home today ;)

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Yeah considering my zone,I think they have come back quite well. I guess I'll just have to get another Mme. Julia since I already have a nice metal tag made for her...well that goes for all the others as well too...LOL
    Here is one I would LOVE to have, but it most likely won't survive wayyyy up here...I really like how it looks like crepe paper, very delicate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abundance

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

"(OK..so I cheated and copied a post I made on another Clematis forum...but it was too much to re type...is it still palgiarism(sp?) when you copy your own stuff...LOL)"

While you CAN plagiarize yourself, by copying your own work, I doubt that anyone will report you to the copyright police, hunnerbun! Besides, you probably got permission from the author to use the original post. ;-)

"Clematis Mme. Julia Correvon (Viticella) followed me home today ;)"

Sharon, it's funny how plants, while seeming to be so docile and still, will jump right into your arms and beg to be taken home with you. My first puppy, who chose me at the Humane Society many, many years ago, did the very same thing.

This thread is creating a great list of "must-have" clematises. I think I'll loiter around the vining plant section of the garden centre, one day, and see which one jumps into the car with me.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Hunner, wow you have a lot of clematises! I would be jealous but... the two I bought are not dead yet! In fact they are putting on new growth. And one of the Alpina cuttings appears to have taken :0) Yay, finally I have clematis!

If you look back at the beginning of this thread, Laurie has "Abundance". It looks beautiful!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Michele, I've had Abundance for about 5 years and it's so vigorous, that I'm worried it might take over the whole deck!lol Really, it's close to 7' tall and there are so many stems on it that I think I'd have a hard time even getting my arms around them all. Not that I'm trying to do any enabling here or anything ;), but I'd try it if I were you.

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

SOLD!
    Now I just have to find her somewhere!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I picked it up at the Green Spot in Brandon, so next time you're in the area, you'll have to check there. I still haven't checked there for Roguuchi yet. I guess if they don't have it, I'm outta luck for this year :(

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Maybe they'll still have some left when we come down at the end of the month.
    I'll have a look for her then.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

Hi there, came across this thread while looking for information on Nelly Moser. I am not in Canada (officially) but I am close! I am about 60 miles south of the border near Grand Forks ND.

I am looking for some clematis to plant this spring on a new trellis in my yard. The spot is part shade, I really like the look of "Nelly Moser" Does anyone have experience with this clematis in our zone 3?

Thanks
    Jenny P

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Hi Jenny, I planted a Nelly last summer and it put on quite a bit of growth, and bloomed a few times. It's a nice clematis and has very large flowers. It should do fine in zone 3, but it was my first year so I can't say for sure.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

So the trellis that you want to put Nellie Moser on, is away from the house? Nellie Moser is a hybrid and are more tender, so usually they tend to do better when planted by the foundation of a house. I don't have any hybrid clematis out in the middle of the yard, only alpinas and viticellas. Maybe if you mulch it really well it'll have a better chance. I've tried a few of the hybrids throughout the years, and even with being by the foundation, they tend to diminish down to nothing. Last summer my John Paul II only had one skraggly shoot and never bloomed at all. After 6 years I think he's a goner. :( But at least I had him for a few years of blooming.

Laurie

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

Yes it's out in the yard away from the house. I can't plant anything next to my foundation, as we need to work on the house, and build up the soil level. Hopefully that will get done this year. But we have been saying that for over 5 years now! I gave up waiting for my flowers, and am putting an arbor and flower bed in the yard! The area is under the canopy of old oak trees. So it is bright but still shady. Dappled shade I think it's called.

Any other suggestions for Clematis in that situation? Some of the reason I like the Nelly Moser are:
    Color, I think these nice light colors will look nice in shade.
    Size, the flowers seem larger than some of the others I read about
    Shade, in my reading it says it is for part shade

Thanks!
    Jenny P

• cmmwiebe
    17 years ago

I really like General Sikorski for the big blue flowers.
    Also I am looking forward to Dr. F.L. Skinner and Joe Zary this summer as I planted both this past fall.

Clayton

• fernsk
    17 years ago

do clematis combine well with roses - in an obelisk? I'm thinking that if my prairie joy rose survived the winter and i put an obelisk around it for support then maybe if I grew a clematis with it - I would get beautiful flowers for the entire season? Is this possible>?

Thanks for the great thread

Fern

• plantcompost
    17 years ago

We have 5 obelisks in our garden. Each with 2 or 3 different clematis (one early) and a rose. We also grow either annual scarlet runner beans or yellow canary vine up each obelisk. With a variety of 'stuff' on each obelisk we always have some colour from late Spring through to frost.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

So how tall are these Obelisks? And what is a nice early clematis?

Thanks
    Jenny P

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

So how tall are these Obelisks? And what is a nice early clematis?

Thanks
    Jenny P

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

The earlier flowering clematis are the alpines and macropetala varieties. My alpina 'Willy' is usually blooming by mid to end of May. I'm not exactly sure when the macropetalas bloom, but according to the Hole's catalogue they also bloom in the spring.