Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee__3a

Where to buy hardy clematis?

chickadee__3a
15 years ago

I have been reading with great interest both old and new posts regarding hardy clematis. My question--- is where do you folks find these plants. Are there any reliable online sources? Locally, Can. Tire, Walmart and supermarket nurseries all seem only ever have about three varieties, none of which are the ones I've seen mentioned here. Having done a little research, I see there are several varieties which might be suitable for N. Ontario. Thanks for any info.

Comments (15)

• northspruce
    15 years ago

The last several years Home Depot has been carrying a large variety. That's where I bought mine.

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I also found a large variety at Home Depot, just as Gil did.

Every clematis I bought at Home Depot, I went home, googled it and double checked its hardiness zone. Only one did I have to take back last year because it was rated as a zone 5.

These are the ones I found at Home Depot last summer that have, for sure, made it through their first winter here in my zone 2b yard...

Arabella
    Pink Champagne
    Polish Spirit
    Royal Velours
    Betty Corning
    Warsaw Nike (now 2 in the yard)

I bought these from Home Depot in 2006 and these are all coming up....

Warsaw Nike
    Star of India
    Kermesina
    Etoile Voilette
    Duchess of Albany
    4 unnamed varieties...only know the Group A, B or C...one has a bud on it already.

This year I bought Pink Fantasy and Serenata 10 days ago at Home Depot and fully expect these to also be fully hardy here in the yard. Now, just to find a spot to plant these. I am already planting clematis at the base of trees to have them climb up into the trees.

The 2006 purchases should bloom this year and maybe some of the 2007.

If Home Depot reduces more clematis this summer as they did in 2006 when I paid $2 each and in 2007 when I paid $5 each, I will buy some more. Let's see...wouldn't they look great climbing into an apple tree? And I need 2 more for the trellis in the one flowerbed. And...and...

Hope you have a Home Depot near yourself.

Brenda

• chickadee__3a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much to both of you. Sadly the nearest Home Depot is 85 miles south, but some time in the next few weeks I'm going to be going that way. I'll go with the list in my hand. I'm curious about planting them under trees as I would think that the tree roots would interfere. We live surrounded by trees and any beds I've built near the edge of the bush seem to be full of tree roots in a few years.
    Thanks again, Carolyn

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

Doubt we have have a Home Depot closer that Wpg or Brandon, unless they have one in Dauphin?
    So around 4 to 5 to 6 hours away...

Rob

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

Last summer I planted one each at the base of a Hanson Bush Cherry, a Mongolian Plum and at the base of a tower poplar. Each have made it back this spring and as this summer goes on I plan on watering them well every once in a while so that they will establish themselves.

Trellises are so expensive. You will spend about $10 on the clematis and triple or quadruple that on a support system for the clematis. So, if I can use natural supports (trees, shrubs), why not?

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Rob, sorry to say, but Dauphin doesn't have a Home Depot. But I've found a few of my clematis at our local nurseries.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I'm not sure where you are, Carolyn, but there are several clematis at Canadian Tire in Dryden - among them, i remember Nelly Moser, General Sikorsky, Jackmanii... I think there was another one but i can't think what it was. Oh, two of them that looked to be white, but i can't recall the names. Pretty good selection this year. I bought Nellie Moser at Walmart last year for $12.

• offgridinnorthernON
    15 years ago

I buy mine from Bowden in Alberta. I figure if it can grow there it should grow here and I've never been disappointed. The big box stores, like Walmart & Home Depot buy from American suppliers in large quanitities to get the lower price but not necessarily the best quality or what will grow in your region.

Is there not also a nursery in Brandon, Manitoba? I thought I had ordered from there as well but can't remember the name ofit.

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

The Greenspot and Patmore's are the two nurseries in Brandon. As far as I know neither of them do mail order, they are just local nurseries.

Lindenberg's and McFaydens are based out of Brandon. Both do mail order as their businesses. Lindenberg's has a small outlet store where I can buy the perennials at regular price and then reduced come the beginnning of June. (Pretty soon, yah!) But, McFaydens closed their local retail store when new owners took over about 1 1/2 years ago. So, there isn't even the large spring and fall sales available to go to anymore.

The clematis that Lindenberg's carry are in little 3 x 3 inch pots and that is the size McFaydens used to carry. I tried some of them when we first moved to the acreage and I thought it was just me...that I could never grow clematis here on our acreage. But, when I bought a few 1 gallon pots miraculously they all made it and I will always buy that size again.

As far as the varieties available at Walmart or Canadian Tire or Home Depot...if you see one you like, buy it, take it home and google the variety. If it is a zone 3 or 4, keep it. If a zone 5 return it. They have no problem with returning plants. I have done it. The clematis in Walmart and Canadian Tire and Home Depot are just the same size in the gallon pots as the ones at the Greenspot (which are double in price) and so, I would rather pay the 1/2 price. Just me :)

Brenda

• rose3
    15 years ago

I'm currently hooked on the Viticella's; they are outrunning Jackmanni in my neck of the woods!

• northspruce
    15 years ago

I had a Viticella at the old place, the foliage is very pretty but I moved before I got a chance to see it flower.

• i_heart_flowers
    15 years ago

Hey all!

I purchased this one through Canning Perennials in Paris ON. This will be its 4th summer and every year it has gotten bigger and better. The flowers are small, bell shaped and blooms a very long time. It is the texensis group.

Last year I ordered two more from them: Princess Diana (also texensis group) and Mrs. P.T. James. Both have come through their first winter and are starting to take off. I'm hoping for good things from them as well. I purchased a Jackmanii from Canadian Tire two years ago. Its been slow but seems to be moving along pretty good so far this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Perennials

• i_heart_flowers
    15 years ago

Oops!:p The picture is Etoile Rose!

• chickadee__3a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I did make a trip to Home Depot in Sudbury which is south of us and a zone higher.I was disappointed as Warsaw Nike was the only one there of the varieties you all mentioned. So I bought one and planted it yesterday. It's on the south side of the house in the back of a perennial bed against a trellis that was already there so I'm going to mulch it well and provide some shade in front with other plants in the bed. How does that sound to you more expert people? Every year I like a "gardening challenge" so this year it's creating a hot compost pile and growing a clematis.
    You have all been so helpful. Thanks so much!
    P.S. I'm going to check out Canning Perennials.

• cmmwiebe
    15 years ago

I bought 2 new ones from HomeDepot this year in the 2.5 inch pots. I have had good luck with pretty well every one of these little guys. They all come from Clearview in BC and for the most part should be hardy even here in Saskatchewan. Hardiness is usually not the problem as much as site and weather going into winter from my experience.
    Pictures are showing up on my blog as the spring goes on.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog