Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

All alive...

northspruce
11 years ago

I'm so happy, I was doing some weeding yesterday and all the hostas (25?) that I planted last fall are coming up, as well as a fancy ligularia that didn't look fantastic when I planted it. Also a currant, a weigelia, a ninebark and three tiny roses that were just a couple of sticks. I was worried things wouldn't make it because they were marked down to nothing and then the summer was so hot and dry.

Comments (5)

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

Isn't it just even more satisfying when you are able to rescue plants and they survive? The really sad looking bridal wreath spirea that I rescued two years ago is thriving.

Speaking of still being alive.......the expensive Japanese Fernleaf Peony that I thought was surely dead is popping up out of the ground. I thought it was dying before I had planted it, then thought it had died after that, transplanted it, (which I understand they don't like), then DH accidentally drove a full wheelbarrow over it last fall, and it's still alive !

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Yay!!! I love it when Mother Nature works her magic! Just goes to show she knows her business better than we do. :)

I like to consider myself a patient person probably because my mom used to say it was a wonderful virtue but I think I am just a procrastinator. Springs like this nurture that side of me whatever it is and it is still so exciting to see your "whatever" pay off.

So happy you ladies get to see the healthy results of your rescues! I'm still uncovering but most of my DLs from last fall have popped up and some of the heucheras I planted that looked like I rescued them. :)

Ginny

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Haha, proves how tough peonies really are! That's great to hear that you had good luck with late season rescues, sometimes those are a crap-shoot. But it really pays off when they come back!

I had pretty good luck so far with stuff surviving too. Especially by dandelions. I mean...wow. I'm going to be realllly busy this spring trying to stay ahead of some of my monster dandelions. Did I not weed last year or something? How the heck did they get so big?!

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I think this was a great winter for plants on the Prairies. We didn't have a huge amount of snow cover but then it wasn't excessively cold for long periods either. My rose canes are alive just about to the top and I see the clematises have emerged.

That Fernleaf peony is super hardy...good thing too since they are so expensive. I think mine has about forty buds on it this year.

• shazam_z3
    11 years ago

I dug out a Therese Bugnet and plopped it into a container, but ran out of time before I could re-plant it. I thought it was a goner for sure, seeing as how I never watered it, it's been sitting on a concrete patio, and there's giant gaps in the container, but it's coming out.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County