Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyrae_gw

Experience with Emily Carr Roses

kellyrae
13 years ago

I have an arbour that I tried Don Juan roses on last year which of course didnâÂÂt survive in my zone 3. grrr⦠I donâÂÂt want anything that needs a lot of winter protection mainly because we get lazy in the fall. Just got 2 Emily CarrâÂÂs that I thought were climbers and now read that they only get 4-5 feet tall. Does anyone have experience growing these? I want tall not wide which would block the entrance to the area under the arbour. Or is there another red steady blooming climber that you recommend.

Thanks so much,

Kelly

Comments (7)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Emily Carr isn't a climber, it's a shrub. If you want a red climber you might have success with Ramblin Red, or Blaze or Blaze Improved. They are all hit & miss in zone 2/3 so might be hardy for you.

Some of the Explorers are reliable climbers in our zone. John Davis is a sort of short rambler, Billy Baffin (sorry, William) is a very big one.

• xaroline
    13 years ago

My Emily Carr struggles in zone 3.
    John Cabot and William Baffin are two tall Explorer roses which can be coaxed as climbers. Both are reliable in zone 3.
    Caroline

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

I planted one a few years ago and it did just fine. Got to a good size last year. I quite like the velvety blooms so I got three more for my new yard.

• kellyrae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I may give up on the climbing roses as they all seem to get quite huge and may get too wide for the area I have. I really do love the look of Billy though.

Since I already have the 2 Emily Carr's, I am thinking about planting those in front of the arbour with Jackmanii Superba, Rouge Cardinal and Snow Queen Clematis growing up the deorative iron pieces just behind the roses.... Bought those at Canadian Tire for $4.97 each and just couldn't resist. Are roses and clematis good planted together?

Anyway, I read some old rose posts on the Far North and think that I'm going to be very please with my Emily's ....

• northspruce
    13 years ago

If you're looking for a climber that doesn't get big I would try John Davis. It's not an aggressive rose and not overly prickly. Nice light pink and good rebloom. Mine is currently about 5' tall and will probably get taller.

Don't plant Billy or John Cabot on anything you're going to walk under. Billy gets big and John C. is incredibly prickly. Its thorns look like a tackle box. Clematis and roses are great together but don't necessarily bloom at the same time. I have an alpina and a Polstjarnan planted together and they miss each other by about 2 weeks.

Emily Carr is a very good rose, it's just not that tall in our zone.

• sazzyrose
    13 years ago

I found that Emily Carr is one of the taller "Canadian" roses.
    It would look lovely by an arbour with clematis'.

If you still are looking for a red climber...check out Quadra.
    Like an old fachioned garden rose. And super hardy to boot. It grows taller rather than wide.
    It is one of the few roses that I can tell is alive this spring. We had cold cold temp. here with no snow cover.

You cold also look for Henry Kelsey. This one isn't as wide either.

• robert_flannery
    13 years ago

I would look for Quadra, one of the last explorer roses. Very nice red, quartered blooms and does well for me. Ramblin Red would also do well.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!