Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Emily Carr Roses

Posted by kellyrae 3/4 NW Ont (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 10:07

I have an arbour that I tried Don Juan roses on last year which of course didn’t survive in my zone 3. grrr… I don’t want anything that needs a lot of winter protection mainly because we get lazy in the fall. Just got 2 Emily Carr’s that I thought were climbers and now read that they only get 4-5 feet tall. Does anyone have experience growing these? I want tall not wide which would block the entrance to the area under the arbour. Or is there another red steady blooming climber that you recommend.

Thanks so much,
Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Emily Carr Roses

Emily Carr isn't a climber, it's a shrub. If you want a red climber you might have success with Ramblin Red, or Blaze or Blaze Improved. They are all hit & miss in zone 2/3 so might be hardy for you.

Some of the Explorers are reliable climbers in our zone. John Davis is a sort of short rambler, Billy Baffin (sorry, William) is a very big one.

o

My Emily Carr struggles in zone 3.
John Cabot and William Baffin are two tall Explorer roses which can be coaxed as climbers. Both are reliable in zone 3.
Caroline

o

I planted one a few years ago and it did just fine. Got to a good size last year. I quite like the velvety blooms so I got three more for my new yard.

o

Thanks for all the input. I may give up on the climbing roses as they all seem to get quite huge and may get too wide for the area I have. I really do love the look of Billy though.

Since I already have the 2 Emily Carr's, I am thinking about planting those in front of the arbour with Jackmanii Superba, Rouge Cardinal and Snow Queen Clematis growing up the deorative iron pieces just behind the roses.... Bought those at Canadian Tire for $4.97 each and just couldn't resist. Are roses and clematis good planted together?

Anyway, I read some old rose posts on the Far North and think that I'm going to be very please with my Emily's ....

o

If you're looking for a climber that doesn't get big I would try John Davis. It's not an aggressive rose and not overly prickly. Nice light pink and good rebloom. Mine is currently about 5' tall and will probably get taller.

Don't plant Billy or John Cabot on anything you're going to walk under. Billy gets big and John C. is incredibly prickly. Its thorns look like a tackle box. Clematis and roses are great together but don't necessarily bloom at the same time. I have an alpina and a Polstjarnan planted together and they miss each other by about 2 weeks.

Emily Carr is a very good rose, it's just not that tall in our zone.

o

I found that Emily Carr is one of the taller "Canadian" roses.
It would look lovely by an arbour with clematis'.

If you still are looking for a red climber...check out Quadra.
Like an old fachioned garden rose. And super hardy to boot. It grows taller rather than wide.
It is one of the few roses that I can tell is alive this spring. We had cold cold temp. here with no snow cover.

You cold also look for Henry Kelsey. This one isn't as wide either.

o

I would look for Quadra, one of the last explorer roses. Very nice red, quartered blooms and does well for me. Ramblin Red would also do well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here