Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry1_gw

Your Best Tasting Apple

gerry1
17 years ago

I am sure there was a thread on here last year regarding some great tasting apples but did not manage to find it. I know there were several recommended varieties on my list last spring, unfortunately the nurseries either did not have them or were sold out. Said list seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

I have two really nice apple trees, both gifts and am hoping they will one day find those name tags they tucked away! As for the apples I have growing, one is a Heyer with large yellow apples and the other tree has smaller firm red apples, both make for terrific pies. The family find them fine for eating but they are far to tart for me. So anyone having an apple they enjoy eating out of hand please share.

Comments (6)

• prairierose
    17 years ago

We have a Westland tree that grows wonderful apples, but you'd probably still find them tart. To me, they taste about as tart as a Granny Smith, but they're much jucier and tastier. If I actually find time to thin them, the tree grows grocery store sized apples, otherwise they are a bit bigger than my Heyer #12. I also have Patterson apples, but they are more like a small crabapple, and ripen about a month later than the Westland and Heyer. They do make good jelly, applesauce, and fruit leather. My little Westland is just starting to bear, so I haven't decided what I think of it yet.
    Connie

• northspruce
    17 years ago

This might be the thread you were thinking of?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Apples

• mytime
    17 years ago

My favorite is State Fair--tart and sweet. For some reason the Westland we have isn't always dependable as far as flavor goes.

• gerry1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am still looking! Saw some lovely well grown September Ruby, am wondering if any of you are growing this one and found it to be a good eating apple. They were really nice trees. Any one aware of any new prairie releases that are said to be great for eating?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I have what I believe is September Ruby. It's an excellent producer, but you do have to wait till about mid to end of September for the apples to ripen enough to be a good, sweet eating apple. They're an excellent keeper too. I can keep mine in a box in the basement until the end of October most years. They'll keep way longer if refridgerated too.

Laurie

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I too have September Ruby, mine seem to ripen in late August, early September most years. The taste reminds me of a macintosh, crisp and juicy, sweet, great for fresh eating, but also excellent in pies. My only beef is my tree seems to produce heavy some years, not so much in alternate years, though it could be my fault as I keep chopping branches off to keep it small.

I also have a Norland, which I like because it a very dependable producer. Loads of apples every year, even when I cut off half the branches. For this one, they recommend picking the fruit just before it is ripe for best storage. I would have to agree, because if you leave them on the tree they get over ripe quickly. ItÂs the timing of when they are "just right" that I have trouble with. Then again, I like my apples to be on the slightly tart, crisp and juicy side. Otherwise, I find itÂs a great apple and give plenty to my Mom who makes pies and freezes them.

Glen