Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Yay for daylily orders! Boo for digging!

weeper_11
13 years ago

Yes, I'm excited, because my mail orders have started coming in. And since I can't afford to buy new plants most years, this year is going to be a doozey. My Prairie Peace roses came in, and thank goodness I think they'll make it. I was a little worried that this sudden heat wave would dry my roses new leaves out before they had a chance to grow me some new roots! But they seem to be fine, and I have great faith in PP's weedy growing abilities.

BUT. Even BETTER is that my order (small though it may be) from Joe Hawkins came in (Hawkvalley Hemerocallis Haven). It was earlier that I thought it would be, which is what the "boo digging" was about. I didn't have their permanent spots ready yet! My bed is still being finished, and I had intended to plant some of the taller varieties at the back of the new area. Oh well. I've temporarily planted them whereever I could find room amongst my flowers. I'll just move them next spring. It'll be good to let the fresh ground settle anyway.

And the plants were so nice! SO much nicer than what you get in the greenhouse. The fans were plump and large(except for the ones that have smaller fans naturally), he sent at least 2 each, sometimes 3...and he sent me a gift plant "Kirsten's Corsage" which I absolutely love, because cascading UF's are my favorites. PLUS it is tall, which I like. PLUS it has nice colors that compliment my garden. I was pleased not to get one of those super skinny-petaled spiders that I don't find very attractive. I thought a gift plant was really kind of him, because I only bought 4 other plants (Primal Scream, Black Ice, Starman's Quest, Orchid Corsage).

So go on!! Go buy from Joe! I fully recommend him. Now I'm just waiting for my order from Coral Kincaid(Nova Scotia Daylilies) which is larger, but she said hers won't be coming until June, so I've got some time.

Happy days, happy days.:D I just had to spread the love, because my husband couldn't care less to hear about my plants!

Comments (3)

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

My daylily order should be coming soon from Mother & Daughters Daylilies. She said she'd keep an eye on our weather and send them when it's suitable. I can hardly wait, although "boo for digging" here, too. I ordered April in Paris, Dream Legacy, Panda Bear, and Velvet Beads. I think I have 11 coming, and don't really have a spot for them yet. I have to dig up some stubborn grass. Yuck! I'm already thinking I'll be planting this year and moving them next, too =:)

Ha! Ha! My husband nicely asks about my garden once in a while, but I'm pretty sure he's really not terribly interested either =:)

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Weeper - Since you just got mail order daylilies, you seem to be the one to ask. The daylily forum seems to be just photos.

I already have a few fairly established Stella D'Oro, and the leaves are quite narrow. My new 15 daylilies have really wide almost flat leaves. If a person looks at them from a few feet away, they look much much more like my irises. Is that because they're a totally different type of daylily? I'm confused. All the pictures on the daylily forum seem to look more like my Stellas. I also just did a google search for a picture of daylily fans, and they showed a before and after picture. They can't be the same plant! What the heck?? My Stellas look like the before and my new ones look like the after. According to my calculations, things don't get bigger when you cut half of them off, LOL !

Did you get your digging done? I probably didn't make my bed high enough, but I just couldn't make myself shovel anymore! =:)

Oh, and as always, anyone else who wants to chime in.......

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey NAF...

I think the answer here is just the differences between daylily cutivars. Just the same way different cultivars have different heights and shapes of flowers, I think their foliage can be different too - beyond the dormant, semi-evergreen, evergreen thing.

I have Stella too, and her foliage is quite narrowly grass-like. I have another NOID whose foliage is very similar to Stella...it just looks like a bunch of grass. But I also have some daylilies (including some of my new ones) whose leaves are very thick...as you said, kind of like irises. Also, some cultivars just don't have much to them as far as foliage. I ordered one named Sweet Revenge, and it's fans are TINY. I didn't get jipped or anything, that is just the way that particular variety is.

So no worries! Once the new leaves grow in on the new daylilies, they will look much more daylily-like. The bottoms of lots of daylilies are just very fleshy and thick.

As for digging - nope. We've been getting so much rain, it really hasn't been good weather for mixing in peat moss. All the clay soil just clods together. So right now we are taking advantage of the wet weather and pulling out some old weedy elms with the tractor.