Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Started Vegetable Garden

nutsaboutflowers
10 years ago

To celebrate Mother's Day I started the vegetable garden. Apparently we're going from winter to summer this year. This is the earliest I've ever started.

I planted mesclun mix, spinach, peas, and two types of beans. I'm not afraid it's too cold out there, I'm afraid it's too hot !

If all goes well, my pole beans will have sprouted and I'll know where to place my new maypole when it arrives.

Has anyone else started veggies outside yet? If so, what?

Comments (18)

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Not yet!
    I am still busy potting up plants which I started end of March. Maybe this weekend will begin the vege patch.
    However, I am keeping an eye on the weather forecasts.
    Going to 4úC tomorrow morning!
    Caroline

• User
    10 years ago

Only carrots, peas, beets and chard. I have been trying to harden off my squash but the wind is killing them.

• bdgardener
    10 years ago

I have swiss chard, spinach, beets and peas in. And carrots although I will probably have to replant them, the dog chased the cats right thru those beds, I can't win some years. Cheryl

• macky77
    10 years ago

The rhubarb is up and the garlic is sprouting. The only thing I've gotten to seed outside so far is the spinach. Need to get the peas in asap. The onions and leeks spent all day outside yesterday, but they stayed in today due to the forecast 70k wind gusts which never materialized. I'm usually hardening off more things by now.

• don555
    10 years ago

I've planted my onion transplants (started indoors mid-Feb. or so, and been hardening off outside for 10 days or so), and I've planted some onion "sets" for green onions. Will plant spinach, peas, chard, etc. as soon as I make time. Tomatoes and peppers hardening off but I'm still a bit cautious about frost to plant them in the garden yet.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking about being brave with my tomatoes this year.

I have 50 or so plants and thought that if I put out 5 or 6 and they didn't do well, then I'd still have plenty to replace them with. Oh, and I have row cover if I need it.

I might start hardening a few off tomorrow.

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I'm planning on planting everything either late this week or early next week. We're supposed to get a bunch of rain this weekend, so I'd like to get it in..but I don't know if I have time.

My tomatoes spend most of the day outside, so probably early next week I'll plant them after I leave them overnight. 4 of my plants are in a too-small four-pack, and I don't want to pot them up when they'll be in the ground right away, so I'm sort of in a hurry. I was thinking of putting black plastic on the lower part of my cages to help keep them warm and block the wind until they are a little bigger. Lois Hole suggest doing that in her vegetable favorites.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

We were thinking about starting on the weekend - it really has been way too cold here - but now they're promising about 5 days of rain, so that will put a kibosh on our plans. If it rains that much, there's no way we'll be able to get into the garden for another week. Dh is planning to build some raised beds but we wouldn't be able to fill them because the soil will be too wet.

Everything else is late here this year, so garden planting will be too, i guess!

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

I planted various sunflowers for the birds, potatoes, peas, carrots and a few pumpkin hills. It has been wild and windy here the past few days and the pansies and morning glories are really suffering - supposed to get some rain this weekend which we could really use as so little snow over the winter here.

• northspruce
    10 years ago

^ same as Marcia. Spring's been cold and late and it's supposed to rain all next week. I have my new raised bed filled but haven't planted anything in any of them yet.

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

Planted everything but the tomatoes this morning(I'm tuckered!)..it got so windy again! Snap peas, bush beans, pole beans, 2 kinds of nantes carrots, golden beets, flying saucer summer squash, spanish onions, lettuce, spinach, and kale. I was surprised that I was able to tuck a significant amount of each into the 4 beds I have. Looking forward to having the room for winter squash and melons in later years though!

I'm thinking I may need to rig up some sort of temporary wind fence for when I do transplant my tomatoes up there. It is just so bloody windy, I can't imagine they'll do very well.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    10 years ago

Okra, tomato, corn, and sweet potato plants have gone in the garden. Now, of course, we'll probably get one last frost in early June...but it hasn't gone below freezing here since April 30.

• macky77
    10 years ago

I'm out planting today... still on the peas because I'm putting up trellis for them at the same time. Just inside for a layer of sunscreen (getting a little red!).

Weeper, would snow fencing break the wind enough?

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I think snow fence would let the wind through to much, it is a seriously exposed spot...I was thinking of putting in t-posts on the north side of the beds and putting up either weed barrier or plastic from grain bags/silage pile.

• macky77
    10 years ago

We're exposed, too. Anything solid, like what you're proposing, is more likely to take off like a sail than something that lets at least a little wind through. Maybe shorter sections with a bit of space between the sections?

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

That is probably a good idea, Macky. I'm pretty sure that hill top is a good place for flying kites, so I imagine it will do quite a number on whatever fence I erect.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

DavidCalgary (I recall you live in the Peace River area) - do you have much success growing okra and sweet potatoes that far north?

• northspruce
    10 years ago

On the weekend the rain was fairly warm so I planted peas, parlsey, cilantro and zucchini. It might be early for zucchini but there isn't any actual frost in the forecast so I'll see how it does.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus