Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Purple Sensation Allium

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

Good morning all.

I know there's a few of us who planted these last fall.

Mine are about to pop open and I'm really excited to see them, as they're zone 4 I think.

It's going to stinking -1 tonight !

Should I be finding a way to protect them?

Comments (11)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

No, they'll be fine. Hope you like them!

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Mine are about to bloom too, NAF. When they started coming up this year I actually wasn't sure what they were, because their foliage looks so different from my other alliums! (I only have the drumstick allium and that blue one)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are anybody's blooming yet?

Mine are so close, that I checked on them 3 times today =:)

I've never grown allium before, so I'm sure I'm going to be totally amazed.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Still waiting on mine. Their buds are still just little balls! :)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Mine are also still tight in bud.

I'm so happy that I planted these - they multiply nicely, and the dying foliage disappears quickly.

After blooming, just remember that those seed heads do produce viable seeds and those seeds will germinate easily - these could be on Gil's seedy list in my yard. I'm always tempted to leave those heads for longer than I should cause they're kinda cool looking but there's a lot of seed in them there heads, lol.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I don't think mine have ever seeded! Mine are also fat buds right now. They take a long time to open and they last quite a long time in flower too which is nice.

12 years ago

I've tried winter sowing the seeds - nuttin'. But they winter sow themselves! LOL I was surprised!

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

I tried winter sowing them too and nothing. But holy cow do I have lots in the garden. Can't wait for a couple of years to pass, it is going to be spectacular. I will be sure to move the seed heads to a different location in the garden this year. Love these. C

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

5 out of 10 of my beauties are completely or almost completely open=:) The other 4 aren't far behind. The runt didn't do anything, the poor thing.

What an awesome sight. Just like a bunch of fireworks !

I'm so glad I read about them on here and ordered them.

Is there a difference in the flowers that come up from seed? Would you recommend letting the bulb multiply instead? Will I have more of them next year, or will it take a while?

Have everyone else's opened yet?

12 years ago

Too darn cold here - they're staying in their buds to keep warm! LOL Actually, i had one that was partially open on the weekend, and i took a picture of it for you but it was all blurry. Either my camera sucks or i suck at taking pictures! LOL

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Mine have opened as well..the color is very vibrant! I like how early they are.

I'll have to plant something more bushy in front of them for next year though; their dying foliage is much more noticeable then the drumstick allium or the blue allium.