Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised veggie planters

Posted by crazyone zone 3 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 10:53

has anyone over wintered perennials and plants like strawberries, rhubarb etc in raised planters in zone 3? with success? if so were they in the center or can they be close to edge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised veggie planters

I have a brick planter that's 4 bricks high that has been fine for tulips, daylilies, various spring bulbs. There's also dianthus, primula, and salvia that seem to be coming along just fine.

My strawberry patch is in a 10 inch high cedar raised bed and they've come through the winter just fine also.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 2:18

I have my strawberries in raised vege planters. The planters are about 18 inches high and the strawberries survive just fine. I am zone 2b....Jean

o

I also have raised beds, strawberries come thru fine, if they have snow cover or straw, we get alot of drying winter wind. I also have tulips and a cutting garden in raised beds. C

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 8:50

I'm not in Z3 but I do know that the amount of snow cover can make a big difference in where you can grow some plants. For example, with adequate snow cover to provide extra insulation against repeated freeze/thaw cycles which cause heaving you can grow a lot of plants in a raised bed (or even overwinter in pots) that you couldn't otherwise. So part of this will depend on what your normal winter snow cover is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here