Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Is this a sign?

After advice from a respected rosarian about bare root rose care I promptly went outside to prune off dead canes. For those that know me know I am kind of a lazy person so you will undoubtedly laugh at the next part.

So there I am pruning away when I get to a rose with those really nice sharp fine thorns. I thought to myself about going to get my gloves that I forgot on my deck but that was over a mile away, well 50ft but may as well been, so I dove in pruning one longer dead cane off and quickly got stuck when I picked it up. I now wanted this thing out of my hands as quickly as possible and instead of walking WAY back to the last rose that was over 3 feet away I tried tossing it into the 5 gal pail I was using in leu of a wheelbarrow (yeahp it was on the other side of my estate). Somehow I got enough umphh behind this tiny cane that it hit the rim of the 5 gal pail and had enough jam to bounce back and get me on the end of the nose leaving one of those fine thorns as a gift.

Now that was a few days ago and things have gotten nicely red and swollen. For a visual you Albertans can think of Ralph Klein the rest can imagine Ronald McDonald.

So my question to you all is do you think this is a sign or indication on how my attempts at being a rosarian are going to go?

SCG

Comments (6)

• wayne
    9 years ago

Very funny, I have found that moving very slowly among roses is good, that means little coffee and a relaxed disposition, being thoughtful in disposing of rose canes is also good for the health (not in brush piles unless you are going to burn them where they are). Caution on smelling roses flowers that you cannot see into...

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Hahahahaha! Be cautious when you are dealing with dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup! :)

I hear that you must be a little insane to be a gardener. :)

Thanks for the Saturday morning funnies guys! :)

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

And this wasn't captured on video?? You could have been a winner on America's Funniest Home Videos! We've all had those moments, I think my worst was stepping on the head of the rake and BAM, I got the handle right in the face, stars and all, lol.

I like Wayne's comments about moving slowly and taking time for a coffee and having a relaxed disposition. As I get older, I take a somewhat more relaxed approach and attempt to actually enjoy some of the garden chores I had previously hated, such as removing old raspberry canes ... not that I'm implying that these are on par with vicious rose bushes, lol.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, SCG, the price we pay for gardening!!! LOL!

I think it's a sign that you need to buy MORE roses.... ROTFLOL!

Thanks for the good laugh. Have a good weekend!

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Just about knocked myself out the other day while walking around the perennial bed seeing what was coming up. So of course, I'm looking down, not where I'm going and walked straight into the hanging tube feeder, which was full at the time. I guess I should be thankful I didn't hit one of the protruding perches!

I get shivers just thinking about rose thorns. They hurt.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

I'm constantly getting stuck with rose thorns, gloves or not. And scratches all over my arms and hands - you'd think i had kittens! LOL

My latest was when i was taking things out of the cold frame. As usual, there were a couple of things in front of it that i could have moved.... but didn't.... And something behind where i was standing that i SHOULD have moved.... but didn't..... I'm not even sure how it happened, but i suddenly pitched forward and banged my shin on the cold frame. Only spilled one thing that was in the tray, though. Mucho bad owie on the shin, plus bruises on both legs. Yes, i'm clumsy sometime!