Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shazam_z3

Looking for... Kudzu

shazam_z3
15 years ago

I am thinking of growing Kudzu as an annual. Anybody know where I can source seeds or plants?

Comments (9)

• glen3a
    15 years ago

I did find it at Richters Herbs. Go to www.richters.com and select seeds and they list kudzu. Otherwise, I was also able to find one supplier on ebay, though it was a USA supplier on that site and I don't know what the regulations are about importing it into Canada (apparently Richter's states it's not allowed to sell to USA as kudzu has become a serious weed in the south. Perhaps in Canada, with it's colder winters, hasn't had the same problem.

Glen

• shazam_z3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent, thank you very much. I'm going to order some seeds from Richters, as the eBay seller doesn't seem to selling one of the traditional two varieties. Funnily enough I checked eBay before posting my original message and that seller wasn't around then. And I find that Google is nigh useless when it comes to finding gardening stuff.

And hopefully I won't be trapped by the Kudzu come August :)

• glen3a
    15 years ago

No problem, actually, I wasn't even sure what kudzu was, so I did an internet search. When I read it had an herbal use to it (as do many plants), I thought maybe Richters would carry it.

Glen

• chickengardens
    15 years ago

Wow! As someone who grew up in Mississippi/Tennessee, I shudder to think of someone bringing such a terrifyingly invasive species up here. True, perhaps not to the extent found in the heat of the south, but still...why risk it! It had a huge impact on even the economy, and is a huge thorn in the side of gardeners.

Don't do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Anarchy In the AK

• shazam_z3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kudzu is not even close to root hardy in zone 3. I will be using it as a green mulch in my veggie garden.

We grow many plants here that would be considered invasive everywhere else. Sedums, for instance, are considered weeds from hell in more temperate zones.

• theyardman
    15 years ago

By all means don't plant Kudzu. I live in SE Michigan near Detroit, and Kudzu has now starting invading parts of the Carolinan Forests of South Michigan. We never thought it would come this far north, but not so true.

We happen to be in a small similar climate zone as parts of KY, TN, so maybe that is partly to blame. However, don't take any chances, it is a pretty ugly plant anyway.

• shazam_z3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, I will reiterate: I am in zone three. We have winters where it goes down to -40F for weeks at a time.

• theyardman
    15 years ago

Good Luck,

Clover might be a good option to re-invigorate your soils.
    Let us know how it works out?

• shazam_z3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clover is nice, but it's pretty hardy up here so I don't want to put it into the veggie garden. I wanted to get something that would grow quickly yet not survive the winter. I do already plant peas but you need plant a lot of peas for even a small area.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH