Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Hardy, large vine recommendation

Hey all! Hope everything is starting to grow for you.

I am looking for a large vine to cover the upper part of my unsightly shop. The shop is 50ft long and the eaves are about 11' off the ground. I have antique roses planted nearly the entire length of it which will hide the bottom half in a few years and I would like to make the upper part disappear. I realize I could plant several hops but am hoping there is something vine hardy that I can just leave. I am thinking pruning the hops back every year in between all those roses might end me up in the emergency room. I thought about Virginia creeper but its invasive nature amongst all the roses also spells lots of injuries. I also would prefer something that grows fairly quickly. I am not fussy about blooms just want to green it up. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Thanks in advance

SCG

Comments (35)

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, how about honeysuckle?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even considered them. I will do some research and see what I can find.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

As ostrich recommended - honeysuckle, particularly Dropmore Scarlet is very hardy and blooms until the frost knocks it back - also very attractive to hummingbirds!

• northspruce
    9 years ago

If not DS Honeysuckle, then Clematis Alpina. Very reliable and large.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Virginia Creeper is the best for covering a large area in a short amount of time. No flowers but nice foliage. Easy to root from slips and I can send you lots! :)

Ginny

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    9 years ago

Trumpet Creeper should be considered as an alternate, although it could get out of hand in your area.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks shillanorth it is on my watch list but I fear it won't grow big enough. I think I need a bare minimum of 20' vines. From what I read it usually doesn't get that big.

Ginny, how hard is Virginia creeper to control? I have heard it can be more than aggressive or, if you wish, invasive in a garden.

Davidcalgary29, another good suggestion but I hear stories about it being a real thug in the garden. Any comments.?

Thanks all as I know little about anything and less about vines.

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Hey Lance, my neighbour has one growing up the north side of their house that is pretty safe with not taking up much ground space. It has been there for many years. I'll send you a picture and one of the one I have covering the dog fence in my yard. Boston ivy is another one you could grow out your way.

Ginny

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

Are you actually in a zone 5? If so, then silverlace vine. Although may be invasive in your climate.

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Hops grow huge and are very hardy The golden hop is quite pretty.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I have Virginia Creeper and it's fairly invasive here. It prefers light silty or sandy soils, and it roots where it touches the ground. It is also spread by birds dropping berries. I have it on two fences and I spend a fair amount of time each year pruning it out of my cedars and pulling unwanted seedlings out of my hedges. I do like it but it's high maintenance.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions. Aided with a few names you opened up a whole new search area for me.

I am really liking the looks of Boston Ivy and Trumpet creeper.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I got the bug today and picked up a mandarin honeysuckle and a silverlace. Can't wait to see how they grow!! Thanks again all!

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

These updates are never good.....

Dang Home Depot and sales, there should be warning signs for people with PAD (Plant Aquisition Disorder). I got 4 body bag roses at $4 each, who could resist? And 3 more vines, Boston ivy, wisteria blue moon and dropmore scarlet honeysuckle. Buy 2 get one free. Ugggg now where in gods creation am I going to plant these? I seriously need help.

My original question should not have been looking for one hardy vine rather how many can you cram in a small space.

I think I am too far gone for help...,,

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Oh my, SCG, your PAD is beyond help for sure!!! And that is GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Come on now, show us some pics of these beauties! I am so jealous of your Wisteria Blue Moon - they sold this in specialty nurseries only last year and for beaucoup dollars too. Now, I need to go and raid my local HD, perhaps.... :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

I hid the last wisteria they had, they said they only got three. Just incase my PAD resurfaced. I would be happy to send it to you. They are $9.99 in a 1 gal pot. Last year nurseries wanted huge coin for 5 gal specimens.

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, you are too kind! Let me check my local stores first though. Sending a plant by mail is truly a pain and I don't want to put you through that!!! :-) Let me check first.... thanks so much for offering though! I really appreciate it.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Fortunately no Home Depot near here. I'm safe!

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

ostrich, Superstore has Blue Moon Wisteria for $18-$19. Saw them last night.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

ostrich, unfortunately, despite the claims of 'Blue Moon' wisteria being zone 3 hardy, it's just not sufficiently so for prairie conditions, including Calgary. I take mine down in late autumn and carefully wrap it up upon itself to insulate and protect it for winter. With such attention, the thing had become huge and extended 45 ft going in two directions along veranda, the foliage and blooms looked incredible! Unfortunately, I hadn't watered it enough before freeze up and it desiccated badly and I also battled mice gnawing on it. This spring, I cut it right back, I really didn't mind, as it was becoming a bit difficult to handle and besides it should quickly regrow.

Terrance

Original Author
    9 years ago

I hid the last wisteria they had, they said they only got three. Just incase my PAD resurfaced. I would be happy to send it to you. They are $9.99 in a 1 gal pot. Last year nurseries wanted huge coin for 5 gal specimens.

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, can you believe it (yes of course you can, cos it's Calgary here! LOL) - none of the big box stores here has this Wisteria! Oh well.... not a surprise, I guess! :-)

Terrance, I would NEVER be such a nice, thoughtful and diligent gardener as you are!!! Wow, the thought of doing all of those things before winter for Blue Moon just hurts my head... LOL! Please let me know how it is doing though! I would love to see some pics.

OOPS! I missed Shazam's message and only just saw it!! WOW! SUPERSTORE!? I need to get there... LOL! Which one was it please? I didn't see it at the one in Signal Hill....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Ostrich, due to the up and down warm and cold weather, the now cut back wisteria isn't doing much of anything. The vine has given an immense amount of enjoyment to ourselves and our visitors and any associated work has been more pleasure than anything else. Though, I certainly wouldn't go out and purchase another wisteria, unless a truly hardy zone 3 variety was developed and I'm not holding my breath on that.

From June of 2013, wisteria 'Blue Moon'

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, Terrance, you have an absolutely gorgeous yard! The Blue Moon Wisteria, the hostas, the curved walkway.... it's just PERFECT! I wished I had an area like that in my yard... but it's just not big enough to have such an area! Sigh.... thanks for the eye candy!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

No kidding - that's beautiful!!! And no weeds! LOL

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure is a great looking shot! twrosz how long did it take your wisteria to bloom? I still haven't put mine in the ground it was an impulse purchase that I don't really know where to put. As well in your experience how much shade can it take?

Thanks

SCG

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

ostrich, it was Country Hills Superstore (the one by Sarcee Trail).

When I was in California in March there were Wisteria blooming in Disneyland. That was nice.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Well, all I'm now looking at is a stub left where this glorious vine had been thriving, my fault for not giving it a good drink late last fall. It was getting to be very substantial plant that had measured 45 ft in total length. After its extreme hair cut, I expected it to explode with new growth from the base, but so far just one dominate shoot is coming.

SCG, the plant was blooming when I had received it via mail order about 8 or 9 years ago and has flowered every year since. Wisteria loves sun and heat, I wouldn't go planting it in an area that receives a lot of shade. It also neeeeds a long warm growing season to ripen off in the autumn and believe me it's slow to do so.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Twrosz, can I ask where you got it online from? I am going to plant this one but my dilemma is where if I have to wait 4-6 years for blooms. Knowing me I will be bored with it the year before it blooms. Fortunately we have a long season here. I am most certainly delusional thinking I am zone 5 more like a very long season 4b but 5 just rolls off the tongue better. My mother also told me I could do anything I wanted to, so I will be zone 5.

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

SCG, I had received it as a good sized plant from Canning Perennials, though have also seen 'Bloom Moon' available locally, but less so now that I think it's become apparent that these vines are not hardy in cold zone 3. If possible do get one that's well established, as this will cut down on your wait time. I think you'll have no big problems with hardiness there, I imagine that you see wisteria growing and thriving in your region?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Twrosz, part of my problem lies in that I am rural and a 10 minute drive in any direction can change you zones, guaranteed within 20 min drive. So, I have nobody to ask help from. I see some gardens, I stop, talk, but they aren't really gardeners rather tending plants.

Put it this way, I have 5 nurseries ( although most very small ) and when I asked the owners if the could bring me in a hybrid musk rose they thought I was talking about perfume.

Although being very challenged myself, I am locally bound.

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I found that wisteria at my local grocery store too (Extra Foods)...there's no way it would survive my zone but then, there are lots of places that will sell a plant outside its zone...I even saw porcelain vine for sale at CT a few years back. That picture of the wisteria in the garden is pretty stunning.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

SCG, I hope you can track down the wisteria, I think it should do good in your "zone 5" as you have granted it to be. Though, I'm surprised you haven't come across any established wisteria being grown by home owners.

Yes, it makes a difference having close proximity to good greenhouse. I'm just ten mins from The Big Greenhouse at Spruce Grove and Holes is about 20 mins, then there's a whack of them beyond that distance. My favorite being Greenland, but it happens to be way far east of me.

Donna, yes, it's frustrating to see places bring in tender plants that don't stand a chance here.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Twrosz I have a blue moon just can't decide where to plant. Especially if I am waiting years for bloom. I will look into finding an older plant.

Thanks

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

These bloom at an early age, the wait won't be too long :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting