Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question RE Peonys

Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 12:20

Just about everywhere I have looked it says to plant Peonys in the fall. So what do you do when you get them now. I just ordered two so now am wondering what to do. .Pot them up till fall or just plant them TIA ingrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question RE Peonys

Are they bare root or in a pot with foliage? If in a pot you can plant now. Actually, I think I'd plant the bare roots now as well.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 14:59

I think they will be bare root . That's how the last ones were but I got them later in the year. Will see I guess what they look like when I get them.

o

Peonies form their stems/roots in cooler weather.
Plant them when you get them.
They won't flower the first year without the cool period,but they will be fine for later years.

o

I have lost many peonies because I waited until fall to plant them (not because of the advice to do that, but because I couldn't decide where to plant them!). I haven't lost a single one that I planted earlier in the year.

o

Thanks every one. I will plant them when they arrive.

o

From my experience its not possible to kill a peony. They just keep coming back no matter how much to try to kill -- uhh ... I mean, move -- them.
I just this week transplanted six of the buggers to the edge of the garden from my neighbour's yard. He's been trying to get rid of them for years. They are all coming up fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here