Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Anybody have a Tree Form Nannyberry?

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

Hello all.

I'm trying to determine which tree will perform the best between the house and garage. Clay soil. Sun to part shade. We've discussed the Polar Bear Willow, but I'm also considering the Tree Form Nannyberry.

Does anyone here have it? Some websites say it likes moist conditions and some say it doesn't. Drives me crazy when the web has contradictory information.

The source for the best information is Far North Gardening =:)

Comments (9)

• leftwood
    12 years ago

At least in my area of central Minnesota, Nannyberries are not particular about soils. But they will always tend to sucker in open sun/part sun and I think you will be fighting the suckers constantly. Nannyberries do perform as small understory trees in loose canopy deciduous forest here. Bloom is very ample, but they are slow growers in such a situation.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Hi Naf, I'm wondering how large this area is? The nannyberry is more of a large shrub than a tree. I keep mine pruned sort of into a multi trunked tree shape. I love it. Suckering does happen, but hasn't been a huge issue for me. Everyone who sees it in the fall wants one. But it probably needs good sun for a fall display of colour.
    In the last couple of years I've had a mildew problem on it. I've thinned it out somewhat and am hoping that helps. I'm mentioning this, because you might consider whether it will get good air circulation where you're considering planting it.
    Here's an old picture of mine taken from my kitchen window.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, North53, that's beautiful, and probably perfect for my spot =:)

I wish I had planted one years ago. To get it into the form you have, you kept some of the suckers ??

Thanks for the picture ! Lynn

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

No Lynn, the suckers come up a few feet away from the tree. If I get them when they're little, I can just pull them out. I try not to disturb the soil near the tree, as doing that seems to encourage suckers.
    Keep in mind that you're looking down on the tree from a window. What you can't see is the space at the bottom of the tree. I've pruned out the lower branches so I can have a perennial bed under there.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well then, that's even better =:)

Now I just need to nail down DH with the truck !

P.S. Is it you that loves your mock orange with all your heart? The one I planted last year had a lot of broken branches from the snow, but it's coming back, so I'm pretty happy.

Thanks!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I know Gil has a mockorange that she loves. :) Mine is down to one branch (stem?) this year, but it's alive, at least.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, that's right. Gillian is Northspruce, right?

I'll see your one branch, and raise you one branch and a tiny little stick coming up =:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

But does your branch have leaves?? :>

(This morning, the threads are opening in a new window again!)

• HU-280136024
    2 years ago

Do the nannyberry berries end up dropping & staining paver stones OR does the bird attraction cause feces staining the stone? We want to put one as a privacy shield next to our deck and patio furniture but our worried about this. thanks!