Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricots in Flower

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:56

Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today.

One tree/south, has low huge branches, one got rotten off.
May 13, 2013 photo IMG_0021_zps9c619e47.jpg

May 13, 2013 photo IMG_0015_zpse1e90297.jpg

Two trees/north, one is huge/tall, the other smaller, not as hardy and keeps freezing back.

May 13, 2013 photo IMG_0020_zps2f7d11ec.jpg

This is Sunrise Apricot I have top grafted onto a plum tree.
You can see duct tape top right, have hung in another little branch from my other tree for pollination.

May 13, 2013 photo IMG_2028_zps2175c1a4.jpg

Same tree with Yellow Breasted Nuthatch feeding he's mate in the nesting box.
You can see plum buds, [green] hasn't opened yet.
May 13, 2013 photo IMG_2011_zps02f2a3e5.jpg

May 13, 2013 photo IMG_2005_zps2a12f01c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricots in Flower

Beautiful pictures as always Konrad! So nice to finally have warm, sunny weather and leaves! The blossoms are a bonus!

Even my old, very old, Nanking cherry is blooming! I thought for sure it was a goner last year! :)

I must make a trip out to your little piece of paradise this summer.

Thanks for sharing

Ginny

PS Are those trees on 50th street?

o

Nice pictures Konrad . I really wonder what kind of apricot those trees in Edmonton are ??? Has anybody ever tasted the fruit of these ?

Your sunrise looks like you may get fruit soon.

o

WOW! Konrad, I love these trees! Not only are the flowers pretty, I LOVE The architectural structure of the trunk and branches! I can imagine that even without leaves, they would look gorgeous. I would love to have something like this in my backyard....

Thank you for the lovely photos!

o

Thank you all!

>>PS Are those trees on 50th street? <<
On Capilano freeway, just a little north from White AV.

>>I really wonder what kind of apricot those trees in Edmonton are ??? Has anybody ever tasted the fruit of these ? <<

The city of Edmonton has plated some seedlings, ..they taste very good, had a tree with fruits but killed it when transplanting.
I'll be grafting some again in a week or so.

photo IMG_3992_1_6_1.jpg

>>Your sunrise looks like you may get fruit soon.<<
It better,.. because it's over 10 years old! LOL

o

Great pics indeed! Wow, do those trees flower early! I have no apricot trees myself, and the closest fruit tree I have to blooming is a pear tree which is maybe a few days from blooming, everything else in my yard is probably a couple weeks from blooming.

14 years ago I took a course on fruit growing through Edmonton Public Schools, Continuing Education Services, and the instructor discussed the trees in Konrad's boulevard pics. The instructor said the southernmost tree "produces excellent apricots, as big as store-bought, very juicy". One of the two trees in the northern group he said produced big apricots but without much taste. (I presume the other, less hardy, of the two northern trees doesn't produce fruit very often, if at all).

The instructor said that for Edmonton (and please remember that these are recommendations from 14 years ago) the best commercial varieties are Brookcot, Westcot, and M-604, but the southernmost tree from the Capilano planting is superior to all of those commercial varieties. So in 2004, I clipped a twig from this tree and used it to try 2 scion grafts onto my Pembina plum tree, but both grafts failed, and I haven't examined or visited the Capilano trees since then.

o

Meant to say 75th street, Konrad. I have seen them flower for some time now and they are beautiful! Often wanted to take a picture of them but didn't have a camera with me. :)

Ginny

o

All my apricot grafts did not take. They are the hardest to graft for me to date, because the wood is alot drier it seems . I think certian ways of budgraft and green graft will work but than trees will need to be homed inside over winter or Youl loose the graft . It's awsome to see some people passionate about apricot trees. If more people started planting them properly I bet we'd see alot more around both trees and varieties .

Those capilano cot trees are awsome I might be going on a road trip to go snip me some branches :)

Konrad what's your technique for grafting cots successfully . Yours seem to have high success !

o

Don, you're right, the tree to the south with low branches is the best of all.
This was the first time to visit at flowering time, have never seen it when loads of fruits,...this could be the year?
I was there about end of February to cut some scion wood, someone from down east,..think Ontario ask me if I can send some,..still have some left for me in the fridge.
Just make sure wood is cut when dormant, always cut the small little ends, last years growth.

I do a bark graft,...see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Konrad's modified bark grafting

o

Can anybody help me out with the exact location of these capilano cot trees. I'm going to take a trip up to them this Saturday but I'm not at all familiar with Edmonton.

o

Here is Google map and when you open it up your'e looking
north on 75 Street, 86 AV intersection, you'll see the row of planted various trees to the left, west side of 75 Street, the first tree with low branches is about a hundred yard up from that intersection. You can drive east on 86AV and take the first back alley road right, [north]...this takes you right up to the tree and you can park your vehicle there, about another 100 yard north are the other two trees.

With this map you can go a little north from this intersection, then turn 90 degree to the left, looking west and you can see this first tree with low branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capilano Apricots

o

Thanks Konrad :)

o

I got this tree about five years ago from an old fellow that grows apricot trees from the apricots he buys at the market. It had about six blossoms a couple of years ago and less than that the year before. Llast year we had a warm March followed by a cold April. Not one blossom.

It was the first tree to flower in the neighbourhood. That may be the problem with apricots. It would be good to have at least one fruit to taste. Next year it's going into the smoker.

o

Wonderful Tree!
Why into the smoker if you get fruits this year?
You might just have a wonderful seedling tree on hand,...lets hope for fruits and then decide if it's still smoker fuel,.LOL.
Where are you located?
I'm surprised that this tree is super hardy for a store bought seedling, I might like to ask if I could get a little cutting.

o

Konrad, thanks for the grafting link, next time I'm grafting I'll give that a try.

Bluegoat, apricots bloom very early so yes, frost stops the blossoms from setting fruit most years in the colder zones. But before cutting that tree up for smoker-wood, consider whether it's worth having the first tree to bloom in the spring, regardless of fruit production. Any fruit is then a bonus.

As for people visiting the Capilano trees in the coming days and weeks... I think it's too late to collect grafting material once the tree has budded out and flowered. You really needed to visit this tree in April... or next April at this point, as any grafts now I think are almost certain to fail. If you are a "bud grafter", bud grafts done later this summer are another option.

o

Konrad,

I live in Calgary. When leafed out, the tree is shading the greenhouse just to the north of it. You are more than welcome to as many cuttings as you want. Yes, I am really hoping for a fruit or two. I will keep you informed.

o

Where in calgary do you live bluegoat
Your apricot tree is very hardy wonder why you cannot get fruit

Pollination maybe issue

o

Where in calgary do you live bluegoat
Your apricot tree is very hardy wonder why you cannot get fruit

Pollination maybe issue

o

NW Calgary; near Crowfoot.

o

Does your tree suffer dieback ?
Which side of your house is the tree on?

o

Don is right about beeing too late now for gathering scion wood.

bluegoat
I do understand on shading and perhaps limited space, hopefully you can hang on untill early next year for any wood, ..thank you for the offer!
It might be a shame to get rid of without any offsprings,..guess time will tell if this one is any good, hopefull it will be this year because a warm late spring like this doesn't come around often for a possible fruit set.

o

Well it happened Konrad .... We had frost last night thank good it was after heavy rainfall . I don't think any damage was done to my plums that are flowering . I was awake at 6am and temperature was at around 9 degrees already , my apricot has not yet bloomed yet the flowers are still not open but starting to pop .

o

Does your tree suffer dieback ?

No, it seems quite hardy.

Which side of your house is the tree on?

It's on the north side of a two story house.

o

My two apricots that did not suffer dieback and are flowering are the two I planted on the north side also . Gets lots of shade in summer. My theory is right about growing apricots in Calgary . The temps are so inconsistent it's very important to keep the tree shaded and cool as some of the trees tissue will heat up during day and freeze at night . My two on the south that suffer dieback are already growing much better than the two on north sides because the amount of sun is amazing back there . I need a better method to shade them in the back during winter cause they grow alot more during summer .

o

My two apricots that did not suffer dieback and are flowering are the two I planted on the north side also . Gets lots of shade in summer. My theory is right about growing apricots in Calgary . The temps are so inconsistent it's very important to keep the tree shaded and cool as some of the trees tissue will heat up during day and freeze at night . My two on the south that suffer dieback are already growing much better than the two on north sides because the amount of sun is amazing back there . I need a better method to shade them in the back during winter cause they grow alot more during summer .

o

Matt,..now we should see some blossoms of yours?
Did you say what varieties these are?
Have you seen the Capilano trees?
The weather here seems to still cooperate, no rain for about
3 weeks now helps also,..rain can surely drop temperature very drastically!

o

I don't know how to add pictures on this site Konrad and no I didn't go see the capilano trees . I was lucky enough to get four little capilano trees over the weekend :)
My cot trees that are blossoming are doing so very very slowly . Only about 20 blossoms opened so far the others are swelling some look ready to open ?? It's quite strange it's opening up like this. May have to do with it being planted in a not so sunny side of my house . It looks far from impressive right now . My plums are doing amazing on another note Konrad . Ill probably get some fruit . There is absolutely no bees in my area . I've hand pollinated everything so far hopefully the bees come out as this apricot opens fully.

o

It's fairly easy now to post a picture..when you preview your post, on top it say's, [Image file to upload (optional): ] choose file from your computer, then click preview again. What I have heard, these pictures will not stay for long. For a surely long lasting picture, upload to a host site like photo bucket album first, then click 3rd. line, copy & past here. Going this way, you can load mutliple pictures.

Hopefully the trees will turn around soon! In this fruit business,..especially in Alberta is never a sure thing.

Your little Capilano Seedlings have proven to be super hardy, they have survived 3 years in pots out in my low ground nursery, about 15% I lost the first year.

o

Great pictures, Konrad.

Seeing you're outside Edmonton, do you notice a major difference in minimum temps. between your location and the airport? Worse in winter or summer?

o

The rain here is so intense it's wiped out a bunch of flowers on the apricot in my front :(

o

hopefully they were pollinated prior to the heavy rain,

o

Yes,..after this we hope they don't freeze on a early morning with no cloud cover.

o

Mine are wiped right out . About three flowers left the rest are gone :( heavy rain and winds broke them free. Theirs still many that never opened hope those hang on till rain is done.

Konrad your right if it clears up tonight after a cool rain I can kiss the rest bye

o

>>do you notice a major difference in minimum temps. between your location and the airport? Worse in winter or summer?<<

It seems it varies, sometimes allot, sometimes not much of a difference, especially when windy, in the winter it can be as much as 8 degrees, only about 18 min. away. Summer I'm not sure.

Saturday midnight it was clear already until into the morning but we were lucky,...around 2C. in town.

So far so good, looks like the Sunrise apricot has a good fruit set,..usually there will be some drop, hope some will stay.

Matt,..that's too bad, you might want to re-consider getting more apricots.

o

Those are beautiful pics Konrad. I am surprised at the growth as those trees were easily 7 days ahead of anything here. It will take a while to suss out what my apricot seedling will do as it was its first winter in the ground and was the last plant to bud.

Good luck on finding the perfect apricot!

o

I'm not worried Konrad . Ill get over the first bit of shaky ness .
I'm more than willing to build a frost shelter around them.
Ill get fruit. This was just first winter for my cots and I already got flowers .

o

I'm going to do it along with peaches. I killed my peach this year after sucesfully wintering them . I was stupid they were alive and healthy just breaking dormancy and we got a week of plus 25 or way hotter along my fence. The trees had been shaded all winter I exposed them to hours of very hight temps in the sun. They turned brown and died a few days later

o

That's unfortunate Matt

bluegoat,
Do you have a fruit set on yours?

o

Doesn't look like it. We had bad hail a week or so ago and a lot of stuff got knocked off.

o

Do your flowers pollinate bluegoat. I think your problem maybe pollination having that tree for ten years looking like that and no fruit set.

In later summer maybe we can do some chip or bud grafting. I've got a few trees we could try something like that.

o

Spectacular fruit set on the Capilano trees this year, all three of them. Took these pics just an hour ago...

photo Jun913apricotsouth1.jpg

photo Jun913apricotsouth5.jpg

photo Jun913apricotsouth4.jpg

o

All I can say is wow!

o

Well, I had a closer look and it looks as though I have at least one. It's about an inch long. There are a few very small ones which probably won't amount to anything. I will have to protect this one from the hail.

o

That is one mother load!
I was expecting fruit this year but not this many. After a few years of a break, these trees have the energy to bear allot.
Thanks for the update!
Have never seen any of these trees in fruit,..just picked up some pits from the ground, hopefully this year I'll get to taste some.

In Calgary and for me it will be harder to get a fruit set like this,
my sunrise has some on, will post later.

o

OK...this of today..
not many, perhaps a dozen on this top grafted plum.
June 11, 2013 photo IMG_0010_zps0b8f571d.jpg

One of my favored flower shot.
May 15, 2013 photo IMG_7664_zps49ddfa4a.jpg

This bunch of flowers had good fruit set but no leaves cam out and all marble sized fruits aborted.
 photo IMG_7671_zpsd3fe973c.jpg

o

I emailed this link to Thean, a very knowledgeable gentleman and some of you know him.

He wrote:
Good Morning Konrad.
I'm not a member of the site and cannot respond directly. I first noted these trees about 2 decades ago. I named them Capilano #1, Capilano #2 and Capilano #3. Capilano #1, the tree you posted, produces the best tasting fruits. The fallen fruits I picked from the ground were big slightly flat, very juicy, sweet with full apricoot flavor. Capilano #2 produces big rounded fruit that do not ripen before frost and Capilano #3 is the heaviest producer. (Capilano #2 and #3 were close to the old CBC station). However its fruits are very small and have extremely thin meat. I checked with the City but nobody knew anything about them. A reliable source told me they were possibly part of the few hundred open pollinated seedlings that the City received and planted around the City. These were gifts from the Agriculture Station in Brooks.
If you wish you may post this message for other members to read.
Peace
Thean

o

Very interesting.... I wonder what happened to the other "few hundred open pollinated seedlings that the City received and planted"? Anyone know of other mature apricot trees around Edmonton?

o

I saw a row of adult apricots on parks property on the north edge of Riley park in Calgary. I wonder if anybody knows where they came from? Or knows how productive they are this year since I have not seen them since last winter.

Konrad, when I drive down from Alaska i will try and help you do a spring bud onto your apricot seedlings. I looked it up and apricot for apricot (like what you have) is better than grafting to plums. I guess you can find it working on some combinations of plums. Spring budding can be done very soon as long as in the mean time you keep a good watering on your rootstocks.

Spring buds stay active all the way through the season. A NAFEX member Dave Griffin from northern Minnesota produced an article on the advantages of producing trees in northern areas by spring grafting. I spring grafted pin cherry on ornamental cherry (prunus padus) in Fairbanks Alaska and I have to agree with Dave, it works better than summer budding.

edit: Spring grafting using the t bud with the wood piece removed from the bud is the way I do them. Dave's way is "chip budding" which will demand the same amount of cambium matching as whip & tongue.

If I would make any rules to add to Dave's rules I would suggest keeping fresh cut buds wrapped in a moist towel as much as you can. And it is difficult to remove wood from a "t bud" operation when you don't have a plastic toothpick, the floss kind that have flat edges. Same tool aids preparing and lifting the active bark to receive the bud with minimal damage.

I should give credit to Hartman & Kester, authors of book on plant propagation, one of which is "spring budding" to which the link below is a slight modification of.

Here is a link that might be useful: spring grafting

This post was edited by alcan_nw on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 0:31

o

An update. I made a visit today (July 12). The trees are certainly still loaded, and the fruit is healthy, ie no hail or insect damage:
 photo jul1213apricot1a.jpg

The problem is that the trees are TOO loaded. The fruit really doesn't look any bigger than when I was there over a month ago. They are about the size of grapes. It would have been better if 3/4 of the fruit had fallen so that the rest could plump up. Here is the fruit on the southernmost tree, the tree that is supposed to have the tastiest, juiciest apricots:
 photo jul1213apricot2.jpg

The only tree where the fruit has plumped up is on the sickliest tree, presumably because it doesn't have many apricots on it. Some fruit on the sickly tree are tiny, but some are a good size:
 photo jul1213apricot3.jpg

Maybe the fruit will plump up on all trees before ripening, but the fact that is hasn't really changed in over a month is concerning.

o

thanks for that link alcan

interesting, something to try nest season

o

They need to be watered and fed daily and they'd plump right up.
To bad they are not taken care of by the city .

o

They will be smaller then the one's you buy.
Probably similar to Westcot in the picture, someone brought to the fruit show in 2007 would be the largest, ..around 2-1/2 to 3 penny length. Average around 2 penny length...just my guess.

It's been a while since I had fruits, it does look a bit mysterious,
right after flowering they had rapid growth and then stopped, ...probably that's how it works on these, not like the plums.

I don't think it has anything to do with caring/feeding, the city of Calgary could take a lesson of how nicely the Edmonton trees have been mulched and pruned, ...rain have been plenty and trees rested for several years.

photo IMG_3240-1.jpg

o

HARVEST TIME!!!!!

Apricots now ripening/ripe. Ripe ones are on the upper branches, but lots came down in last night's storm. I tried knocking some down with a walking stick, but it proved easier to just look for undamaged windfalls on the mulch under the trees. Trees LOADED, don't know how they carry such a heavy crop.
South tree (biggest sweetest apricots):
 photo Aug1213Apricotssouthtree1.jpg

photo Aug1213Apricotssouthtree2.jpg

Up high, they are riper:
 photo Aug1213Apricotssouthtree3.jpg

photo Aug1213Apricotssouthtree4.jpg

Easy to collect undamaged ones from ground. These are remarkably tasty and juicy and very sweet. Freestone too, which is nice:
 photo Aug1213Apricotssouthtree5.jpg

North tree has smaller apricots, all high up, so they tend to get more easily bruised falling from height, but can still find lots of good ones. They are tasty and sweet, with a hint of tartness, much better than I was expecting.
 photo Aug1213Apricotsnorthtree1.jpg

o

Looking good,...got spared from the hail!
I should make a detour one of these day's on my way home before all is gone.
Make sure you're growing these seeds!

o

I stopped by today,..got me a few, most are picked within reach from the ground and up by climbing. Some people had no respect and pulled down branches. [south tree with best fruit]
The north tree has tons on the ground, [go get those seeds!]
Would make seedlings or rootstock, ..I don't need anymore, got lots of seedlings growing already.
Most fruit is too high up on the tree for picking, would need a tall ladder.

o

Wow, sounds like it didn't take people long to strip that tree. I'm surprised since it was so incredibly loaded when I was there August 12. It's a shame to hear that some people felt the need to pull down branches, as it really is a beautiful tree.

o

Don the apricot in bottom of your palm looks massive was that from the capilano tree and how do these apricots taste.

o

It probably just looks massive because it was closest to the camera... sort of like holding a fish out in front you to make it look bigger in the photo :)

They are smaller than regular apricots but still a good size. I would say the taste was identical to a good store-bought apricot -- sweet, full-flavour, no tartness at all. Yes, these are from the most southerly of the Capilano trees. The tree 50 metres north has somewhat smaller apricots, also with good taste and just a hint of tartness.

o

Well sounds like these trees are not identical as I originally thought.
The fruits look different compared to the other Alberta apricots we've found.
I've got about 40lbs of fresh Alberta grown cots right now. Ill try and figure how to post pictures. Down in Calgary we found half a dozen very large trees just like the capilannos two of which this year produced an amazing of apricots. I went this week one tree was picked clean the other hidden away had best fruits ,all over the ground making a huge mess the fruit is pretty much rotting . Couple blocks from my job site so during lunch break I've been going and filling up bags and collecting seeds.

I'd love to get some of those big capilano seeds maybe we can do a seed swap

o

I had to go down to Calgary June 16 when I took this Apricot picture in Riley park.
[Thank you Alcan!]

I find they are very similar to Capilanos, several trees were loaded, they're on a perfect spot, on the north side of a bush and there is a hill on the north west, protecting from strong winds.

You can see the hill...

o

This picture from today, Sunrise Apricots on my plum tree.
They're still a bit hard, perhaps another week.

o

Good to know there are so many apricots around on city properties in Edmonton and Calgary, someone had some vision! I wonder if there are other trees in Edmonton besides the Capilano trees?

Matt -- I'm not a huge fan of apricots, don't like the fuzzy skin, I have the same issue with peaches. Following the Capilano trees this summer in one of their rare fruitful years just was a fun diversion. Guess what I'm saying is I don't actually plan on growing my own apricots, it was just fun to follow these guys. I did however save a half-dozen or so seeds from the trees in case someone asked for them -- you got dibs. I don't want any apricot seeds in return, but I'd be happy to send you the seeds I have. I tried to change my profile so my email shows, if that worked you can contact me that way and send me your mailing address. If it didn't work, maybe mention that in this thread and we can find another way to connect.

o

Congrats Konrad those sunrise look amazing. Bright orange bet they are going to be delesious .

Don I've got a few capilano trees about three years old from Konrad . I'm just very interested in the fruits you had in your hand. The seam on them are very defined like a nectarine this is what caught my eyes. The Riley cots are flat at the seams even the very largest Riley cots were flat and small but tasted excellent . These Riley trees are chinook hardy. We had a very brutal spring here and these rileycot trees prevailed and produced a massive crop. If they could survive and fruit this year given our very wacky winter and spring I'd bet this strain will do very well in north Alberta.

o

Here's the rileycot fruits

o

Here's close up of the Calgary apricot

o

The wind yesterday blew down one of the three fruit. It's small and bland flavour.

o

WOW your first fruit, bluegoat.
If you have another not eaten, keep it about a week in the house to get it nice and soft, usually the flavor is better.
I know it isn't much,..I was a bit disappointed with my little harvest, plums are much more reliable, perhaps someone can top graft it to plums and at least 2 more apricots, pollination can be drastically improved, even if it's self fruitful.

Here are my small Sunrise, [picked today] compared to the large, just over 2 inches Green Gage plums.

o

Well I followed this thread real close this season. I hope to see more apricots around.

Konrad can you help me get some of the sunrise strain. Seeds or wood next season :)

o

Sure...seeds I tossed in a mix and wouldn't know what is what, scion wood for spring,...can you make it to the exchange?

o

When is the exchange Konrad.

I didn't prune my Italian plums this season and let a few suckers grow for you,one sucker came out in July and is about five feet tall and 1" thick at the base. These Italian plums are just as hardy as the brooks and most vigorous growing prunus I've seen. There fruit is not as blue as the Mount Royal but it's fairly similar. I've got just a few plums hanging off it right now .also have a new variety of apricot called casino and a few other variety I'd love to pass onto you.

On another note how'd those sunrise cots taste ?

o

Suckers are usually rootstock,..are they coming from the base of tree. Italian Plum..not sure if it's the real one but theyr'e not hardy for me,...just barely OK for the city.
Wasn't too impressed with Sunrise, Capilanos are better,..think I'll cut most of it down.
I have Casino,..what other varieties do you have?

o

Not really a sucker if it comes in above 12" above the graft more like a low branch , It is part of the tree well above the rootstock. Both of my early Italian are crazy hardy but , I'm also south of Calgary it's bit different climate. I'd like to bud a few different European variety on them. They are self pollinating but with low yields.

I've only got westcot and casino .its impossible to find apricot trees that are decent size.

Konrad do you know anything about casino? I've got a 7 ft casino tree and have no info on it at all . Nor can I find any.

o

Mine is about a 6ft tree put in this early summer,..not sure what it is but Casino could be a re-name of Capilano as you suggested. Put a bunch of seeds into the ground today, incl. plums.

o

Put some apricot seeds in, ..a mix of store bought and capilanos
incl. Japanese plums which hardly ever sprout, ..guess because theyr'e hybrids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here