Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

Red Maple question

squirelette
14 years ago

Hi,

I planted a red Maple in the back in the fall. It survived, but it does not seem to be doing very well so far. When it bloomed most of the branches had flowers but now that the leaves are coming out it seems like a lot of the branches are really slow and starting to look wrinkled/not healthy. I put down lawn seed over the whole area because when the birch that was there last year came down they really trashed what there was of grass. The previous owner had laid sod over the existing grass with out doing anything else to sell the house. Could I be drowning the Maple with the daily watering for the grass. The yard is 40 years old and has about a foot of hard packed soil over heavy clay. I dug a huge hole for the tree and backfilled with a light soil mix and compost. I worry I have created a well around the tree and am drowning the roots now. Is this possible, I do not want to disturb the rootball and the new grass by digging in there but I do not want to lose a $300 tree either. I bought the tree late in the fall so it was marked down and not warrantied. Any suggestions please.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County