Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Lowest Growing Juniper

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

I was at the home of an acquaintance the other day and she has very low growing juniper in her yard. When I say low growing, I mean about 2 inches high. Basically flat to the ground. She doesn't know what it is. It's greenish blue (more green), and quite soft. She's had it for years.

I merrily went to two reputable greenhouses and neither place had anything that grows less than 6 inches high.

Anybody have a clue what it might be? Sorry, no picture =:(

Comments (7)

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what that one would be, but I do have a really, really low growing juniper named "Prince of Wales." The crown of the plant MAYBE is 6 in tall, but the majority of the spreading branches are 1-2 in tall. Turns a purpleish color in cold weather.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Your saying it's soft made me think of Microbiota decussata which is a Siberian Cypress but looks like juniper. I had one at my old house and it has very soft leaves. It's low growing, maybe not 2" but then again maybe your friend just had a particularly flat specimen. The ends of the twigs/leaves turn down at the ends instead of up as most junipers do.

• prairierose
    13 years ago

We have a native plant that grows down in the Red Deer River valley near us that we call ground cedar - I think it's probably creeping juniper. It can cover a wide area, but remains almost flat to the ground. Would it be a possibility?

Connie

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooooh, thanks guys. I'm tempted to plant a bunch of new low growing evergreens............

The Prince of Wales isn't it, but I like it anyway. I also found a picture of a ground cedar, which I like, too, but not it either.

What's odd, is I did a google search for a picture of creeping juniper, and found one in a group of pictures that looks really similar to what I'm looking for, but the description didn't sound right.

I think it might be some type of cypress. It has what I found out is called scale type leaves, which are soft, right?

Does anyone know of a good website that would show me pictures of ground hugging evergreens? I've searched and searched until I think I'm going cross eyed =:)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Also look at "Icee Blue" Juniper. It's supposed to be dense and maximum 4" high. The obvious difference between junipers and cypresses is that juniper leaves flip up at the ends where cypresses flip down.

Most adult junipers and cypresses have scale-type leaves.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Northspruce. I think somewhere between your first answer and checking a bunch of website pictures, I somehow missed or forgot that you said cypress flip down and juniper up. You had to tell me twice, but now I know....

I think I'll go shopping again this week, and have a look at any low growing cypress. I'm pretty sure now I'm looking for a cypress. I'll also write down the names of the junipers mentioned here and surely I can find one of them !

Thanks to all =:)

• SusDQ
    12 years ago

What you saw - IF it was a Juniper - is probably a cultivar called 'Pancake'. Juniperus Horizontalis 'Pancake'. I do not know if it is soft or not. But I do know that the Pancake is the only Juniper that grows less than 6'. Typically only 2 4' in height and doesn't spread as much as others (usually less than 2 feet). However, IT WILL ROOT WHERE EVER THE STEMS TOUCH THE GROUND. So if you don't want feeders spreading out - you will have to contain it somehow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pancake Juniper

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery