Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Daylilies arrived!

26 daylilies arrived yesterday from Mother's And Daughters Daylilies. Always healthy, huge fans. They are going into the front bed along with a few newly acquired perennials. :) Warm and sunny today so I'd better put on some sunscreen. :)

Hope everyone is having a sunny day today. Happy Gardening!

Ginny

Comments (13)

• User
    11 years ago

I planted daylilies here 6 yrs ago they have beautiful leaves and are growing well except they don't flower not sure what to do. I hope you have better luck.

• ostrich
    11 years ago

WOW! 26 daylilies!? That is so exciting! Photos please!!! :-)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No blooms yet. :( I will post as they bloom. :)

Ginny

• ostrich
    11 years ago

Ginny, which ones did you buy please?

Original Author
    11 years ago

This is about it for my daylilies this year. I was very unimpressed with the 150+ I planted in the fall. I lost about half or better. And while we had a very odd winter here, I will not order from that supplier again. You get what you pay for. I've ordered from M & D in the past and always had good customer care and great plants. :)

Ginny

All Things Regal
    Antique Linen
    Bill Munson
    Bill Robinson
    Bound for Glory
    Carved Initials
    Christmas Greetings
    Eternally Grateful
    Eyes Delight
    Fly Me to the Moon
    Gilded Scarlet
    Ida�s Legacy
    Nature�s Poetry
    Queen�s Coronation
    Rachel Klee
    Red Brocade
    Reflections in the Water
    Send Me a Rainbow
    Shadows of the Rainbow
    Susie Tee
    Triple Cherries
    Victorian Christmas
    Chief Crazy Horse
    Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis
    Watermelon Taffy
    William Steen

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

CLBlakey - my best guess is that your daylilies are probably planted too deep. They are one plant that is very sensitive to how deep the rhizhome is!
    http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq2.html#plant2

Dig down in the soil and see how deep yours are. If that isn't the case..are they in full sun? Division can help increase blooms, but if yours have never bloomed, that won't be the problem.

Ginny, yes I completely agree, low prices can be tempting, but there are a few growers I know I will almost always get 100% survival from, and that is worth the money. Looks like a good haul!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Weeper, this was the spring specials list. I thought they were all so nice and after being so disappointed with my fall purchase, I thought it emotional balm.

Incidentlly, Parkland Perennials also has daylilies. I got 10 from Bob last year and they are just huge! I will probably go out and pick up a few more for my birthday. :) My daughter never knows what to get me so she usually sends me gift certificates for garden centres. :) This year I think I'll take her with me out there. Those DLs are very cold hardy too. :)

Ginny

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks Weeper I'll try that.

Ginny - I have to ask is honalee from Puff the Magic Dragon? Your daylilies are going to be beautiful.

Original Author
    11 years ago

CL, when I was a kid I used to pretend I was Puff and dig out the linen closet for my cave. I always wanted to escape life and run away to a land called Honalee. I still want to .......someday. So, yes, Honalee is from Puff. I still cry when I hear that song which is often as I play it all the time. I think it is a very multi generational song and still magical. I'm also a gianormous animal lover and I guess dragons are sort of animals. Also a huge Peter,Paul, and Mary fan. :)

Here in the Garden of Angels there is always a Land Called Honalee that is full of magic, color, and laughter. And guarded by Puff. I suppopse there always will be....or at least until I grow up. :) I will post pictures when the daylilies bloom.

Ginny

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I don't know when you planted your daylilies last fall but I would think that isn't the best time to plant them in your zone. I have only ever ordered daylilies for the fall once here in my zone. They came in August and all surived the winter. But they didn't thrive like ones planted in the spring. I haven't done it again. I don't thin they get over being dug up and transplanted at that time.
    I have ordered from M and D before. They send great plants but they sell a lot of southern bred ones which haven't all thrived here either. I bought a few seedlings from them when I was down there a couple of years ago and they have done amazingly well. Since I have gotten more interested in Spiders and UFs I haven't ordered from them again.
    Hope the ones you got have a great summer and do well!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have planted daylilies in this yard in Sept for years. If they are large enough fans with well established roots, I have not had a problem. Actually, the ones I put in the ground did just fine and we had almost no snow cover. I potted up a lot of them thinking they would do better in the ground in the spring. They spent the winter in the garage but I guess they didn't like it in there. And they were very small fans to start with. My garage is heated and it was always at about 4C. I am pretty careful to buy cold hardy ones to the best of my research. Sometimes you just gotta wing it. I lost about half the ones in pots and many of these were proven cold hardy ones. Just not a good time for small plants and this is what this supplier sent. Maybe only spring orders from them in the future.

I will probably go out to Parkland a few times before summer is over and as I dig more beds. The ten fans I got from Parkland last Sept are taking over the front garden!:)

Ginny

• User
    11 years ago

Ginny - Everyone needs a magical land to go to once in a while. Mini vacations to fantasy lands are great stress relievers. Plus as far as gardening goes everything grows there the perfect zone for any plant. Okay I can dream too!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Without our dreams, we are nothing. Dreams are the touchstones of our character.
    Henry David Thoreau

I really don't know what I would do without this old yard to just walk around in. It is a quiet old neighbourhood with big trees, lots of birds, squirrels, and pets. And in this yard, lots of daylilies, irises, and peonies. Not to mention the 38 or so tomatoes I put in this year. A great place to escape to. Daylight till 10:30 these next few weeks.

10 more daylilies coming next week.

Fire Down Below
    Firebreathing Dragon
    George Washington
    Mal
    Pink Super Dormant
    Pizza Crust
    Princess Of Wales
    Raspberry Lustre
    Spacecoast Extreme Fashion
    Sweet Potato

More magic in the Garden of Angels. :)